7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2017 5:09 AM by amdmatt

AMD driver has stopped responding - Occasional BSOD atikmdag.sys RX 480 17.4.4

sven_r

While playing some games (Elder Scrolls Online, Heroes of the Storm, Diablo 3...) my screen goes black or white and in the bottom right corner of the screen shows AMD Graphics driver stopped responding and has recovered. Also i do get bluescreen's which shows a problem with atikmdag.sys.

After getting this bluescreen, i tried to fix it by expanding the file atikmdag.sy_ of the installed driver into atikmdag.sys and copying it into the directory C:\Windows\System32\drivers. After restarting and playing one of those games, i did get the bluescreen again.

Then i tried the Troubleshooting Common AMD Graphics Driver Installation Problems. The step with DISM didnt work properly. It did show , that C:\windows is not a valid windows directory. Sadly my search about that topic didnt result in anything, so i just went on with the remaining troubleshooting. After removing and reinstalling the AMD driver, the driver stopped responding again after playing a game <5 minutes.

Then i tried the workaround which is explained here: https://community.amd.com/thread/180166

After doing this, i did try to play again and did get a bluescreen with pretty much the same text as before.

System:

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit System
      Intel Core i7-4790k CPU @ 4 GHz

16 GB RAM

System Übersicht.PNGSystem Software.PNGSystem Hardware.PNG

And here is the event protocol of when the driver stopped responding.

Ereignisse.PNG

I hope someone's able to help and thank you in advance.

Message was edited by: Matt B We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.