4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2017 4:03 AM by benman2785

FX-9590 UV + RX 480 OCed

benman2785

Hi, just want to let you know that if you still have an old Bulldozer or Piledriver and a capable MoBo (and like me wait for Vega to build a new PC) you can try to get a FX-9590 for cheap and to reduce heat undervolt it a little

FX-9590 + RX480 or RX580 will do it for at least one year from now - so maybe u can wait to Ryzen+

i have a Gigabyte 990FX-Gaming (good Audio) and use LLC "low" & CPU @1.4V
      my Sapphire RX480 8G Nitro+ OC runs at GPU 1375MHz & RAM 2075MHz

Wattman_OC.jpg
      (i could set State 6 & 7 to 1375 and 5 to 1340 - but this way it trys to calibrate the max-load better)

Here my Temps and Voltage:
      voltage_fx9590.jpg

note: Voltage-ReadError from HWMonitor on GPU xD

my max Temps today was 55°C CPU and 73°C GPU - have in mind we have an "early summer" today in Germany with 30°C room temperature

• Re: FX-9590 UV + RX 480 OCed
          black_zion

AMD confirmed RX Vega for July, about the same time the 4C/8T R3 processors will release.

benman2785

I will wait for the Vega Custom-Designs that will ship around September (i think)
            but im not sure if i will buy a R5 1600X or and R7 1800X - hard decission

black_zion

There are pros and cons. Pros of an R7 1800X are higher resale value, and higher energy efficiency by being able to have a higher base clock speed without overclocking thereby preserving the power saving features. Cons are a higher upfront cost, and...well that's about the only con. Pros of a lower end processor are a lower cost and possibly equal clock speed, cons are possible zero overclockability, higher power draw, and lower resale value. Personally I decided on the R7 1800X over the R7 1600. I've been overclocking for a long time, all the way back to Socket Slot 1 where you physically set the FSB by a switch box, and while it's exciting to see a large performance boost from a small and cheap chip, there's something to be said with peace of mind (and silence of fans) with a processor that's just fast.