7 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2017 10:50 AM by amdmatt

Problem updating my AMD driver (and such)

norfrenchian

Hello, i have an Acer Aspire V5-552PG laptop
      (im'a just gonna quote the specs on the laptop desk sticker)

*15,6" Multi-touch HD LED LCD
      *Windows 8 64-bit (updated to Windows 10 Education 64-bit)
      *8GB DDR3 Memory
      *Acer Nplify 802.11a/g/n + BT 4.0
      *1000GB HDD

*4-cell Li-Polymer battery

The problem i need help with is that i have been trying to play general games like League of Legends, Skyrim, Doom etc but i for some reason have been getting a lot of lagg and fps drop, the first time i tried to do somthing about it, like updating the amd driver through the help guide program from AMD's homepage... i ended up getting a blackscreen and was unable to even use my pc.. i had it sent to the repair shop to have it fixed... The whole pc got wiped and everything i have done til now is; install Steam and downloaded a few games, Skype, League and google chrome... thats it.. nothing more.. yet still i get these huge lagspikes and framedrops..

I tried to open up my Radeon settings only to be faced with "the driver settings for this PC is missing/out of date/invalid. i have no idea what to do.. and whenever i try to look up on how to fix this problem, i get to the same AMD update page as last time.. just now im scared to even try it considering how bad it went last time..  i tried to update to Radeon Crimson live (newest) but the update gets turned down by the error message saying "Error 174" and it shuts itself down..
      any tips on how to fix this?  i would lik to have a normal message to someone and have them help me out, but doesn't seem like AMD runs like this (through Facebook for an example, maybe because too may people would use it..) but i hope to get some responses.
      Thanks a lot for your time, i hope i managed to put out my problem as easy as possible to find a solution

• Re: Problem updating my AMD driver (and such)
          kingfish

This is how to find the correct drivers for your laptop > Download Drivers

Always the full version...not the 'minimal'. This is the only driver you install.

Your computer power plan must be set to High Performance...not 'balanced'.

Configure your graphics > How to Configure Laptop Switchable Graphics

Screenshot_1.png

Correct drivers > APU

• Re: Problem updating my AMD driver (and such)
              norfrenchian

pastedImage_1.png

I tried to do what you told me to do and the same error ocurred..

roughly transelated error; "Error 174 - The AMD instalation programe could not continue due to the configuration of the AMD hardware does not support it"
              and if i click the link "klikk her for å lære mer / click here to learn more" i just get sent to the basic AMD site and ends up getting confused as they do not help me with my problem (or i'm unable to find a solution)

NOTE: I have downgraded my pc to first windows 8 (the one i got when i first bought my pc) for then to upgrade to Windows 8.1. The FPS seems to have become normal... i do no longer experience FPS drops and/or lags.. (yay) yet i am unable to enter any AMD/Radeon settings (the white error box to the left)

does this mean that my pc is too old to get the updates? i doubt.. it's supposed to be of "good quality" and did cost a bit.. but it is after all "3 years" since when it wa ssupposed to be of "good quality" yet it still seems a bit odd for the pc not to support the updates..
              looking forward to your reply also, thanks for the message as well, apprechiate your answer ^_^