3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2017 10:12 PM by whiskey-foxtrot

XFX 4GB RX480 was working but now in a constant reboot loop

tjphillips

Hey,

I had this issue when i bought the card but i did the manual driver install with the 16.7.1 AMD control panel and it was fine but since windows updated a few nights ago my system wouldn't boot into windows, just stuck at the spinning white dots but i had actually baked my old gpu in the interim and as soon as i installed that i was back up and running so 100% sure it is related to the RX480.

I've just tried to do a clean install tonight but now i'm just in a constant reboot loop (it does post but as soon as windows loads it reboots) so not sure what's going on so i'm posting here looking for any suggestions before i RMA it. I've tried all the fixes listed here on the forums, only thing i haven't done is flash the bios on the GPU.

Thanks!

• Re: XFX 4GB RX480 was working but now in a constant reboot loop
          whiskey-foxtrot

Are you getting any errors before it reboots - blue screen or "THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER" messages?

Also what is your old GPU and what PSU are you on?

If your PSU is up to the task (ie not a no-name, low Watt/Bronze type) and if you've tried to use DDU to uninstall the drivers from Safe-Mode and trying the latest ones, it could very well be your new GPU. I probably wouldn't flash it at this point as you may void any warranty you have.

tjphillips

Hi, no absolutely nothing previously it would just hang at the black screen and white spinning dots but now it boots to desktop and within a few seconds reboot. My old GPU is a HD7850 and my PSU is an Antec TruPower 550w, the newer one. I've used DDU but i can't boot to even install the latest drivers which is annoying. But it worked previously so that says maybe there is something ele going on; i was able to game, played DS3 etc and it ran smoothly at close to ultra settings so i seem to be ok performance wise.

Cheers!

whiskey-foxtrot

If your old one works fine (which had a slightly higher power requirement) than a stock RX 480 it could very well be the new card. You've run DDU from safe-mode and tried setting the default Windows installation option I presume and still no go? I'd probably RMA it, but i still sounds like a software conflict (windows' version of Radeon drivers and the AMD version). On one of my (Win10) systems I had to block Windows from automatically installing their version as I prefer to have the latest, even if it wasn't signed.

DDU.png

Try booting in safe mode if you haven't done so - even if you have to use your old card for it and select the "Shutdown for installation" option and if it's still a no-go, RMA it. Make sure you have the latest DDU too. I guess there was an update less than a week ago. Let me know how it goes or if you're still having the same issues with your new card.