3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2017 2:23 AM by jwshields

Ryzen 1700x + RX480 - Driver Update - Freezing Upon Installation

jwshields

Hi all,

Been having a problem with my computer and am unsure how to proceed with it.

Problem: when installing GFX driver updates, my computer has multiple problems/symptoms. The screen freezes and my mouse and windows are unresponsive; the screens also flicker many times, on and off, sometimes the screens go black and the monitors go into sleep mode, other times the screens go black and the computer sits for appearing to be doing nothing, before coming back to the desktop; Sometimes the computer completely locks up and requires a hard reboot, other times the drivers install successfully (after 15+ minutes of waiting at a black screen).

Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 1700x @ stock speeds (Cooled by Corsair H110i)

MB: Gigabyte GA-AX370 Gaming 5 Revision 1 (Running BIOS version F5)

RAM: Patriot Viper Elite 32GB (PVE432G240C5KRD)

Boot drive: Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB

GFX: 2x MSI RX 480 8GB "Gaming X"

Monitors: 1x ASUS VG248QE (Via displayport), 2x ASUS VE248Q (Via HDMI)

I'm unsure how to handle this problem.

The issue has been happening since I built this machine just over a month ago; (Before I was using the same RX480s with an i7 4790k and had no issues with gfx driver installs)

Have seen it with GFX drivers 17.4.4, 17.5.1, 17.5.2

Also to be noted, the extended freezes/black screens happen both on an install and uninstall of drivers; no matter if I choose a clean install or upgrade, nor if I choose express vs custom install. (so in total it can take me anywhere between [but not limited to] 15 to more than 30 minutes to do an installation of a new set of drivers.)

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!