19 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2017 6:00 PM by djohnson

Games Crashing - Resolution Option Greyed Out - RX 580

djohnson

I'm have a really weird issue with Windows 10 and my new Rx 580 card.  This is all installed on a fresh install of Windows 10 Professional. I have all drivers updated on my mother board as well as running the latest amd driver for the rx 580.  I can run games for a day or two, but eventually, I start getting issues with games.  When I try to open up World of Warcraft, it will crash, as well as Overwatch.  It also has issues with Battlefield Bad Company 2 with the display not fully opening up.  But, Witcher 3 will run (go figure).  When I right click desktop and go to Display Settings, Resolution will be grayed out (can't change it) also display adapter properties will not open up.  To fix this occurrence, I have to reinstall intel chipset drivers (the latest ones off intel's website) and everything is working again.  When this issue is happening, I can go to device manager and it lists the driver as being installed.  I have tried disabling and re enabling the 580, but it doesn't do anything.  Also, Device manager says there are no conflicts.  Also, Radeon software sometimes hangs up.  It also seems that it doesn't throw an error in Event Viewer.  This is quite annoying...  I'll list my specs below.

Gigabyte z77x-d3h with latest bios

Corsair Vengence 2x4 gig sticks

xfx rx 580 8 gig

Message was edited by: Matt B We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

• Re: Rx 580 Display Driver Issues
          djohnson

I think I found the source of the issue and has something to do with semav6msr64.sys.  If I rename the file to semav6msr64.sys.bk the same issues appears.  If I rename it back to semav6msr64.sys, my graphics card works.  I read that this is driver is not needed, but why does my graphics card break when it's renamed???

ray_m

This sys file does not belong to the AMD driver package.

djohnson

Looks like that didn't fix the issue.  Issue came back where I can't change resolution nor look at display properties after a restart...  What should I look for or what kind of logs do I need to post?  Event viewer isn't showing any errors regarding this hardware.

amdmatt

Are you using two displays? One looks to be disabled by Windows. What happens if you right click and enable it?

Please try navigating to Radeon Settings > Displays and setting GPU Scaling to On. Check to see if that fixes the crashing at launch.

djohnson

Hello Matt.  I'm definitely not using two displays.  What's weird about that is the only way another monitor shows up in device manager is right after a reboot and my problem occurs with resolution/display properties.  I also have to enable show hidden devices for the disabled monitors to show up in device manager.  This problem occurs usually after a restart.  If I restart again, my issue will sometimes correct itself and everything works properly.  My issue always happens after a restart but it's random.  Also, I'm not seeing anything where something is crashing (event viewer is clean...)

If I uninstall my Radeon drivers in safe mode using DDU, reinstall chipset drivers, then install my Radeon software it works for a while.  I'm going to try to get my hands on a new dvi cable and see if it could be the cable causing me grief...

I'm also going to bring my 580 to work and install it in my computer there to see if I still get the issue...

ray_m

In your original post you mention installing the chipset drivers temporarily resolves the issue, so I'm wondering if thats somehow related to this issue ?

Also, have you tried connecting the monitor to a different port on the card ?

djohnson

I'm going to have to purchase a dvi to display port adapter to try it out.  I'll try it this evening to test.

kingfish

Do you have any third party graphics controllers installed or running? Asus, Afterburner, MSI, Trixx, etc.?

djohnson

I don't.  I have been using Wattman for overclocking at stock voltage. Coincidentally, when this issue occurs, my settings in wattman gets reset.  This issue occurs while overclocked, and not overclocked (I only upped gpu to 1440 on the and 2100 on memory at stock voltage).   I swapped cards, installed windows 10 (fresh install) without network cable in, installed chipset drivers first, installed motherboard device drivers 2nd, then radeon drivers 3rd.  I rebooted everytime after a driver was installed.  I then plugged in my ethernet cable and did windows updates.

kingfish

"I then plugged in my ethernet cable and did windows updates." Actually, this should be done first...before installing the graphics drivers. I would try to get the card running properly before attempting any overclock. I suggest you set the Power Limit only in the control panel. Leave everything else at default.

AMD graphics performance

djohnson

I overclocked it when I first got my card installed and assumed everything was working properly.  Since these issues have been happening, everything has been on default including my overclock on my processor (ran prime and passes small fft and blend for 24 hours each along with 12 hours of linpack overclocked and stock just to make sure I have a stable system).  I unplugged my ethernet because I didn't want Windows 10 updating to their drivers for devices (including the radeon drivers).  I doubt this is an install issue.  I'm leaning on either a faulty card (dvi connection), faulty dvi cable, or a faulty dvi connection on the monitor.

djohnson

So I purchased a hdmi to dvi adapter and am using the hdmi slot on the card and still have the same issue.  Can't switch resolution after a restart.  But, when I enable gpu scaling, I can.

I do not want to use gpu scaling for long term due to input lag on some games (from what I have been reading).  Any thoughts?

ray_m

We are currently investigating why GPU Scaling is required.

djohnson

Well, looks like something isn't being loaded or detected correctly and that is why I'm seeing inconsistencies of being able to change resolutions.  What I have been doing is if I have to restart and resolution isn't able to be changed in windows (or run games for that matter), I'll just keep restarting my system until it works.  Once it works, instead of shut down, I'll put my computer in hibernation.

This is a pretty annoying issue because I have to restart 5-6 times until it's working again lol.

djohnson

Just got home to try that out.  I booted up PC, opened display and resolution was greyed out....  I opened my Radeon settings and enabled gpu scaling.  Resolution and games run again!  amdmatt, you are a wizard!  Now, I want to know why it is doing this.  I should be able to run it disabled. 

djohnson

Just want to give another update.

Reset bios to optimized defaults with Intel GPU disabled

I reinstalled windows 10 off thumb drive with network cable in

Updated Windows 10

Rebooted

Uninstalled Windows 10 forced amd drivers

Used DDU in safe mode--->Deleted AMD folder in Root

Rebooted

Installed Intel Chipset Drivers (latest off of site)

Rebooted

Installed Intel Management Driver

Rebooted

Installed Newest WHQL Rx 580 Driver (with hdmi to dvi converter)

Rebooted

Set Power Limit to 50%

Same issue

Sometimes resolution is greyed out when I boot.  Looks like nothing is crashing though because Witcher 3 runs fine (even though I can't change resolution in game, and I can't change resolution in Windows 10 nor look at display properties) but some games simply will not run or crash on start up.

Resolution can be selected though when GPU Scaling is enabled and games that were crashing when gpu scaling disabled works when enabled.

Do I have to RMA this card?  Is this a driver issue that might be being worked on?  Is this a hardware issue that can only be fixed by building something more current because of no support?  Could this be a PSU issue (Antec earthwatts 750 watt psu).

I didn't have these issues when I had my gtx 460 installed. 

• Re: Games Crashing - Resolution Option Greyed Out - RX 580
                                          djohnson

Looks like Radeon Software Version 17.6.1 fixes this issue.  Thanks for the driver update!

1 of 1 people found this helpful