9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2017 5:51 AM by yoshimatsu414

Power Efficiency Fix? (actually problem with ReLive)

yoshimatsu414

Hello,

I was temporarily using an RX 460 while I RMA'ed my Asus RX470 strix. The RX 460 was a great card for the money was pretty much able to play any game just fine. I was messing around with it one day and noticed that when watching a video, it was using quite a bit of power relative to how much it uses when at max utilization. Card would use 50w when play Mass Effect Andromeda 100% usage for example and then almost 20w at like 6% usage, I didn't think that made sense. Then I turned on Power Efficiency in Radeon settings and that power usage while watching video dropped to like 7w and didn't notice any thing different during gameplay.

When I got my RX 470 back yesterday, I decided to do the same thing because it was following the same trend as the 460 and didn't want to gpu fan spinning up while watching a video. So I turned Power Efficiency on and it was fine on desktop and videos and such but in game, it turned my RX 470 into a choppy mess with this option enabled. Also I noticed that on the RX 470 the clock speed drops to 300MHZ frequently when playing a game that puts a full load on the GPU, this didn't happen with the 460.

Obviously there is an issue here. Is this a known issue, will it be fixed? I would like to use this option but right now, there's no way this option is usable on the RX 470 in it's current state.

i'm on driver version 17.5.2

• Re: Power Efficiency option Fix? - RX 470
          amdmatt

This is the first report we've seen of this issue.

Try setting the GPU Power Limit to +50%. Power Efficiency will throttle clocks if needed to reduce power drawn, but it should not drop to 300Mhz.

yoshimatsu414

I can only do up to +25% pwr limit on this card and if I do that the VRMs overheat on this card causing definite drops to 300mhz.

kingfish

Disable/delete any third party controllers..Asus, Trixx, Afterburner, MSI, etc. They conflict with Wattman/AMD controls. Use their settings to 'revert to default settings' first. Set your ReLive control panel back to defaults. Raise your Power Limit..only..to the max +value (+25). Click apply.

Screenshot_2+(7).png

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                yoshimatsu414

Maybe I will try that because I actually do have Asus GPU Tweak installed. The thing is though, I actually really do like GPU Tweak so what I did last night was uninstall Radeon Settings so that it's just drivers only and noticed that ever game had gotten much smoother.

I guess I'll just try it the other way around by uninstalling GPU Tweak and reinstalling Radeon Settings and try the pwr efficiency and see how it works out then and get back to you guys, thanks for the tip!

Also, I can't got past 20% power limit on my GPU without it throttling after a little bit and I'm not willing the fan up any more than I already did on my OC setting to hit the 25% limit. I actually haven't come across a RX card yet (I've had the 480,470 and 460) that I could max the power limit out on, but maybe some of the other brands I haven't had have better cooling solutions.

yoshimatsu414

Hello,

Its been a while but I think I've stumbled across the issue turning my gameplay into a choppy mess and I guess maybe the Power Efficiency option made it more noticeable. I believe that the issue was ReLive. I stopped using AMD Settings Software for a little while and used OBS to do recording and such. I have a Ryzen 7 1700 CPU so I was using a software encoder at the start since it was doing a good job with no real performance hit. From here everything was perfect so I stopped worrying about Power efficiency option for a bit because everything was smooth as butter

One day I decided to give the AMD Hardware encoder to record just to test it out because I assumed that it uses the same encoder on the GPU that ReLive would but OBS has more options. After enabling this and trying to record, that same choppiness came back up again! So I guess that this was the culprit because I use to leave ReLive on all the time with Replay option on in case I wanted to record something. OBS said that the Hardware encoder on the GPU was getting "overloaded" but my problem is that never seemed to not get overloaded not matter what option I chose. I started at 1080p video and went down to 720p (don't really want to go lower) and even changed the bitrate. Even though I turned things down, it never really stopped the choppiness while my CPU was able to do 1080p 4mbps video no problem. 

I tried reinstalling Radeon ReLive and messing around with the settings in there but even on "LOW" recording setting the gameplay would have a noticable slight pause every few seconds which was the same thing that would happen when OBS said the encoder was overloaded.

What is this hardware encoder even able to handle? I do have a 4K monitor but seems like it definitely can't do that. I want to know because I actually would rather like to use ReLive because with OBS running in the backround I think it puts a load on the GPU with the preview window or something because I lose a few FPS in games.