19 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2017 2:11 AM by twopolo4

AMD Drivers Instalation/Update Crashing/Freezing Computer

xxair_forcexx

I have a Toshiba Satelite P50-B-103 Laptop with a R9-M265X graphics card and windows 10 64bit, i almost never turn off the computer, just let it sleep through the night...Thas why i didn't notice this issue when it supposedly happend...

I had the crimson 17.4.4... also tried 17.5.2 and both of those in minimal setup...

A week ago the computer installed the Creators Update, and a couple of other things. The other day i installed the game Prey from steam, because i knew it could handle it on low easly. I launched the game and it was runing. I changed the graphics a tiny bit, and while the textures were reloading the computer froze 100%.... how do i know? Because the capslook light did not turn on when i clicked it and the same for the Num Lock... besides the fans got realy slow spining... I hard reboot it and on the boot rigth after the loading screen and before the Password screen the computer got stuck in a black screen completly frozen.... again the same with capslock and numlock.
      After some trys to boot it normaly i got in in safe mode and unistalled driver with ddu and amd tool... after it boot it in normaly but after i was in the windows the windows update kicked in and started downloading the drivers and when it got to 40% it froze and crashed again... This happen 5 times... having to go in safe boot unistall the drivers again if i wanted to go in normaly... to the point i had to go in and disable windows updates in windows serviçes manager.
      This also hapend when i tried to install the drivers i had preveosly manually and many older and newer versions... but while in the process of instalation at midway through is froze and crashed every single time... making me go in safe mode again and unistall it...

I can't do anything now... besides internet things, if windows gets a solution im not gonna be able do get it cause the winodws update before anything will install the amd drivers and those will freze and crash everthing...

I have seen this hapen to a lot of other people including at least 4 of my friends... Fortunatly for me i am a programmer and can "fix" my computer... kind of... but my friends can't even turn it on... because of this...

Please if any of you kwnows anything about this, maybe a solution for know or maybe if there will be a solution... tell me Please! If any amd employee sees this and knows something... tell me... tell us.... we need to know at least that you acknowledge this very big issue! It's not only your fault... it's partly windows's fault... maybe... idk it's mostly their fault... idk... at least my friends with others graphicsd cards brands are not having this issues so idk...

Please at least acknowledge this and possibly fix it in the most near future!

• Re: AMD Drivers Instalation/Update Crashing/Freezing Computer
          kingfish

You need to take the necessary steps to prevent/delay Microsoft from automatically installing/changing graphics drivers > Windows 10 Forums  and delete the contents of the C:/AMD folder.

xxair_forcexx

I did that... Every time that happend I went into safe mode and uninstalled/removed everything including folder using ddu and and tool... And disabled Windows update so it does not auto update... The problem is not the Windows update because manual installation of drivers, the crash happens anyways... Any attempt in installing the drivers... Being old ones, new ones through Windows update or manually using setup tool... In 40 to 50 % of conclusion the drivers installer freezes and crashes the computer...

I can get in the computer... That is not the problem....

The problem is that I can't use it because I don't "have" a working graphics card! Because every time I try to install drivers... It crashes the computer mid way through!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              xxair_forcexx

Does anyone else have other tips or solutions or maybe some info on this issue...

twopolo4

Same issue with P50. Love to cut that chip out of the PC. Fall window 10 updates fail about 20 times past month . Never happen 32% haulted.

Put in blank new drive and started with factory restart with usb windows 8.  Failed at loading AMD.

This graphics chip never enable after first install of windows 10 (Always hung the computer ).

I agree probably AMD fried chip.  Laptop becomes unusable.  Nothing will load. ..

AMD should tell us how to cut it out.  Nice to read your post. 

Or was It a Toast.

xxair_forcexx

**UPDATE**

I blocked amd drivers update's from windows update using windows show/hide tool for windows update. And installed all the latest windows updates.
                  Then i went into the device manager and saw that in graphics card's tab was only intel's... there was one tab called others with unkonwn device... I know it is the graphics card... because windows crashes while trying to install amd drivers, i went into safe mode and went on device manager... i did check for updates and it found them... installled the graphics card controller/base driver and it then detected it as a graphics card and no more unknowned device... BUT! after a reboot while it was botting into windows the screen turned pitch black and not like on black... like off black it went and computer stoped responding... capslock... not switching and so on so forth...

In the end if i intall the graphics card controller... computer does not turn on... If i turn it on ald let it do it it fails to do it but still turn's on...

So if i have the drivers or just base controller... The pc does not boot up...

If i want the oc to turn on i have to not install/stop it from auto instaling... and not have it...
                  and nowadays a pc is kind of useless without a graphics card...

Does anyone have more info?? kingfish

kingfish

1. Download/save the Full version AMD drivers >  Mobile

2. Go to Intel support and run their driver tool, if it finds a graphics update, install it.

3. Go to Toshiba support and check for any chipset or bios update

4. Remove the old drivers from the computer from the control panel/ uninstall a program. Choose AMD and express uninstall everything. Reboot in to Safe Mode and run DDU. Reboot.

Important:

5. Turn off any anti-virus/anti-malware/personal firewalls/etc. Open task manager to be sure no Part of them are running.

6. Install the AMD drivers. Reboot.

kingfish

And what do you mean by this?  " If i want the oc to turn on " ?

Are you using a app to overclock or anything?

xxair_forcexx

kingfish

I ment pc not occur sorry...

I'm going to try that... Do you think bios is doing this?

I have nothing installed at the moment because I can't and if I can in safe mode it does not even start...

What do you mean by go into Intel's and check for driver update... Intel's driver or amd's... Cause if i install amd's by any means... It crashes midway through... Ani version even if it is just the graphics controller in devices manager... Right now my pc can't even reconmgnise the graphics card... If I install the controller in normal mode it crashes and if in safe mode it does install but then does not turn on...

kingfish

You have switchable graphics..Intel/AMD ...must both be updated. Just follow the steps.

xxair_forcexx

Well... My bios already is at 1.50... wich is the max...

Intel discovered nothing... besides in device manager the intel chipset driver/controller was on latest version... i have nothing from amd in my pc... firewall off and windows defender off... ddu runned in safe mode... all perfect, 17.5.2 catalist complete version started instaling  mid way through... computer stop responding... mouse did not work... capslock did not turn on or off, and fans at min... waited 15min.... nothing... completly frozen/crashed... after forcing it to reboot... it booted but no catalist or even driver/controller were installed in device manager there is not a graphics card in graphics card tab and there is on unkown device on other tab...

The same issue again...

I just tried it as before... cause bios and chipset and everything did not make a diference because nothing changed...

kingfish  Are you from amd or are you just a very popular big helper in the forum's??

Cause i need a solution... asap... i have an app to develop... and i need the graphics card to work... me alone... i have to finish my app to end of june... and this is literaly kiling me...

carandilion

Having the same issue with the R9-M265x. Was playing WOW and suddenly my PC froze and no longer worked. Had to uninstall drivers with DDU and now I can no longer install them again. Tried a bunch of driver versions and all of them freeze during the installation.

xxair_forcexx

I just been messing aroud with the computer some more and got some tips and advice by some computer tecnicians and they say this looks to be a hardware related issue... like dead chipset... from heat and stuff...

I can be taken out and rewelded but it might not work after, it's risky... and iven if it works it might happen very soon again having discovered that the toshiba p50 series has poor cooling having in account that it has very heat maker's... i7 and amd card...

Good luck with your problem... if i fix it i will post here... bacuase it might still be just software related idk...anyways, thank you very much for the help!

See ya a week, i going to try update it if i find a solution.

kingfish

I have a Toshiba Satellite P75 A7200 / 17" 1080p / Intel I7  with no external graphics...just the HD4600 IPG on the processor. Great laptop but runs hot...real hot under heavy load. Add to that a external graphics card and I can see heat being a real issue. I keep the vents/fans clean and use a good laptop cooler pad.

In my opinion, if you are determined to use a laptop instead of a desktop computer to play games with...I would make sure that it had the correct/required interfaces for a portable external graphics card like the AMD  XConnect > AMD launches XConnect, partners with Intel, Razer to drive desktop gaming on laptops - ExtremeTech .

bruce55

This is likely to be hardware related problem caused by software. I tried booting my computer into Linux, and it also freezes as soon as X11 started utilizing graphics.

I have a Toshiba P50t-B 4K version with R9 M265x as well. This seems to be specific to Toshiba laptops. My BIOS version is 1.5 too. As soon as I enable my AMD GPU, the whole computer freezes. By attempting to disable the faulty device, my HDD also died for repeating force shutdowns.

I guess this could be bad power management in certain versions of the driver. While I don't remember which version the driver is, but it happened during the same timespan.

AMD / Toshiba must take responsibility for this.

xxair_forcexx

I'm sorry for not posting here for long time and not give an update. Someone asked me the verdict.

So, it is a dead graphics card.

It freezes and does not work after installing because when installing the drivers it changes the input to the graphics card instead of the on-board, and when it does that and it finds a dead card, it freezes... After the drivers being "installed" when rebooting it goes to the graphics card cause it detects it and freezes while booting cause once again, it finds a dead card... If I uninstall the drivers and block the device (graphics card) controller from being installed a'm good... It does not have to go through a dead card Couse it does not know it's there. If it finds it's there it will try use it and then it will find it can't and then it's a problem...

And btw the only way to uninstall the drivers and controller for the graphics card and then block it from installing again alone is through safe mode if you can't turn it on normally in the first place.

I am working in a computer store/repair shop, that's how I known.

And I built a desktop now. No need for laptop anymore. I gave it to my mom cause she needs it more than me in the state it is.

I meanwhile am compiling code, render video, and game on the new one.

Not to brag... I known how hard it is... I've waited all my life for this... just for those curious - New setup: I5 7600k, Z270E Strix, 1060 6Gb Se, HX 16Gb fury 2400.

Hope it helped!

Have a good one!