3 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2017 5:25 PM by black_zion

VRM Temps

vengeance3866

Ok so I have officially made the switch to the red team recently. Been an avid fan of nvidia cards since the GTX260 era and I am fairly pleased with doing so. So far so good with performance I am getting from the RX580 (ASUS Strix O8-G) as well as I am fairly impressed with the Radeon settings software. I didn't install ReLive but are impressed. Alright So reason for switch was basically prices are just stupid crazy for 27" 4K IPS G-Sync monitors, I just dont see paying that much for a monitor so Freesync has won me over and everything is working flawlessly with my 4K IPS Freesync monitor. Now my question is "what is the absolute danger zone for the VRMs on the RX580 card"? In the game Overwatch I am seeing VRM1 peak at around 90C and VRM2 peak around 50C with GPU diode at around 60C. I got my fans doing their job with wattman but are still worried if I need to downclock my card a bit to lower temps on the VRMs?

• Re: VRM Temps
          black_zion

The card will throttle at 100°C but they won't sustain any damage until 105-115°C depending on which ones ASUS used. VRMs are built to take long duration high temps.

vengeance3866

Good to know there is at least some number I can go by now, appreciate the response black_zion. Forgot to note that was with fans roughly at 60%, I've dropped the VRMs temp about 10C with pushing the fans up to 80%, GPU diode really plateaus at around 60C so good there. Wish there was better VRM cooling on this card but that should be addressed with ASUS, overall I'm really estatic with what I got. Roughly $700 gets me 27" 4K IPS Freesync monitor and a RX580 vs $900 27" 4K IPS G-Sync monitor alone!-no GPU so all is well.

black_zion

I'd suggest asking ASUS if that is an expected temperature just to make sure there isn't some sort of manufacturing defect (loose heatsink, missing thermal pad, etc). Looking at ASUS's diagram the VRMs are right under the center fan so they should be getting excellent airflow and cooling, and 90°C seems quite high for the design.