3 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2017 2:43 AM by sharindel

AMD Radeon R9 M385X Stutter

jamesgeiger

Hi,

I just bought a brand new Lenovo Gaming Laptop with AMD CPU and GPU. It has a Radeon R9 M385X 4GB, but I am encountering stuttering and lag in OFFLINE games of Age of Mythology Extended Edition and Age of Empires 3 from steam. Here is what I did to try and remedy it:

• I updated all drivers to the latest and checked it in the new Radeon Settings panel.
      • I made sure Windows 10 was fully up to date and am now on the Creators Update (latest version).

However, even running an older game like Age of Empires 3, the laptop fans go wild and there is pretty noticeable stuttering on max graphics. The villagers will lag when walking and when I try to move the camera around, there is lag as well. All of this is offline, which is boggling my mind as I never would have dreamed that the R9 M385X couldn't handle a 12 year old game. I even turned the resolution down to 1600 x 900 res, lowered some settings, but no luck.

It's the first time I have owned an AMD CPU and GPU based gaming laptop, but I am baffled as to why this happening.

• Re: AMD Radeon R9 M385X Stutter
          sharindel

Test driverversion 17.3.3. all newer cause shuttering in the 3xx series... mainly on dx9 games!

jamesgeiger

Do you mean rollback the driver?

sharindel

Yes, clean rollback to 17.3.3.

I test it with my "Asus R9 390x Strix" and i go the driver in reverse.

The 17.3.3. Version was the first one where i have no shuttering and fps drops in Games where i don't have it normaly.

Later version like the newese 17.5.1. do something wonky with the OC function of my card. I get higher frames when the card is at peak .

But when the Card and Software must decide to toggle down there start the problem. I reduce this problems with vsync.. but.. i get framedrops

in older games, mainly dx9 games. Since i roll back to 17.3.3. it works fine.

But the Problem with the driver after 17.3.3. is not only limited on games. I have Problems with Win10 and the Software "Display Fusion".

When i deinstall it.. it reduce the problems but they are there. If i grap some desktop icons and pull them from monitor 1 to 2, you get some

minimal shuttering. 17.3.3. no problem.

I think, there are some problems with windows 10 and the OC featuers of some cards. So roll back and hope that AMD fix it in the next version.