AnsweredAssumed Answered

AMD Radeon R9 M385X Stutter

Question asked by jamesgeiger on May 17, 2017
Latest reply on Dec 3, 2018 by bravesnowstaff

Hi,

I just bought a brand new Lenovo Gaming Laptop with AMD CPU and GPU. It has a Radeon R9 M385X 4GB, but I am encountering stuttering and lag in OFFLINE games of Age of Mythology Extended Edition and Age of Empires 3 from steam. Here is what I did to try and remedy it:

• I updated all drivers to the latest and checked it in the new Radeon Settings panel.
  • I made sure Windows 10 was fully up to date and am now on the Creators Update (latest version).

However, even running an older game like Age of Empires 3, the laptop fans go wild and there is pretty noticeable stuttering on max graphics. The villagers will lag when walking and when I try to move the camera around, there is lag as well. All of this is offline, which is boggling my mind as I never would have dreamed that the R9 M385X couldn't handle a 12 year old game. I even turned the resolution down to 1600 x 900 res, lowered some settings, but no luck.

It's the first time I have owned an AMD CPU and GPU based gaming laptop, but I am baffled as to why this happening.

Outcomes