AnsweredAssumed Answered

3D Acceleration not available for Legacy PopCap Games in W10 with any AMD Radeon drivers

Question asked by arehtykitna on May 17, 2017
Latest reply on May 24, 2017 by amdmatt

I found an old unanswered Spanish question and marked it as having the same issue. However, since there is no reply and there may be more chance in English here goes.

I have the following Setup:

W10 Pro with legacy directplay component installed and full DirectX SDK

AMD Athlon 5350 (R3 Graphics)

Gigabyte GA-AM1M-S2H rev 1.0

8GB HyperX LP running with XMP Profile

Radeon software build 17.4.4

The issue is that the following games from PopCap don't recognise the GPU as being able to run the games with hardware acceleration. This means they are limited to software rendering at 800x600 which means the graphics look rubbish in both window mode and fullscreen, plus none of the animation effects work. In W7 with the same hardware the games run fine with full hardware acceleration but I don't want to install an entire OS again just for these games.

Bejeweled 3, Bejeweled Twist, Peggle, Zuma

My Laptop with Intel Core i3-3110m and Intel HD 4000 graphics runs the games in W10 with hardware acceleration after loading in the same directplay and DirectX components. So it is specifically something to do with an AMD driver lacking something here.

Any ideas what AMD have done differently with W10 drivers to prevent the game from detecting hardware properly? Is there anything I can do to make the games work? I've tried compatibility mode and it makes no difference. I can run the two bejeweled games better in Linux Mint 17.3 with PlayOnLinux (POL), kernel 4.2 and the fglrx-updates driver. I haven't got the other 2 working yet with POL.

Outcomes