3 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2017 3:34 PM by conraire

Upgrade processor

hulsets

Guidance desperately needed! I promised my son that I would help him get an Elgato (captures video games) hooked up to his computer and XBox. Long story short, I didn't realize that the machine (specifically the processor) isn't up to the task of running the capture card/rendering.etc.

Current machine:

Emachine

AMD Athalon II X2 dual core processor

Nividia GeForce 6150SE

4 GN DDR2 memory

Windows 10

Elgato website says that I need a new processor that is at least as powerful as the 2nd Generation Intel Core i5 or 2nd Generation Intel Core i7 processors.

1st question is, what are my options for an AMD processor that is at least as powerful as a 2nd generation Intel i5?

2nd question: Can I just plug and play? Is it as simple as removing fan, un-clipping current CPU, plugging new one in, adding some heat sink goop, locking it down and then putting fan back in place? Will the computer just boot back up and just do it's thing..... only faster?

My son and I have taken it apart to get a look at the current processor so no bid deal there. And, I've upgraded DDR2 RAM before, so..... Is this do-able?

Thank you so much for your time.

• Re: Upgrade processor
          black_zion

Your best option would be to completely upgrade to a new Ryzen based Socket AM4 system. Your system is extremely old and obsolete, and none of your parts will work except your hard drive.

• Re: Upgrade processor
            conraire

Which version of the Elgato are you trying to get, the internal PCIe card or the external devices that connect via USB?

On the sight, all version say they require an i5-4xxxx quad core or better.  Technically, you could even get away with a 6 or 8 core AMD FX CPU if you need to go on the cheap end.

Like others have said though, you're pretty much going to have to either buy him or build him a new system.  Like I said above, if you're on a tight budget, you could get away with a 6 or 8 core AMD FX cpu..  If you want to spend a little bit more, and be able to upgrade later, then the Ryzen R5 1400 would work well, with a decent X370 or B350 motherboard and some DDR4 2400mhz or so RAM..