0 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2017 3:05 PM by taiga

Ryzen master crash (fixed, post edited) and chipset driver updates.

taiga

Hello! I've recently upgraded from my old Phenom II 1055T to a Ryzen 1800X, and am very satisfied with my purchase.

-------------------------------------------- This issue seems to have fixed itself after a few restarts

Everything has been working correctly up until about yesterday, when the Ryzen master application suddenly broke, most likely due to some slight tweaks I made to RAM timings in the BIOS. Currently, the master application is completely useless to me, as it causes the entire computer to freeze whenever an attempt to apply a "profile" is made. After a restart, none of the settings have been applied. This issue persists even after reverting the changes that were made to the RAM timings, even going back to stock settings won't help.

Should I be un-installing the software from the control panel at this point, and delete leftover files (if any such files persist), or should I just download the newest version and run the installer and let it update the software?

-------------------------------------------- This issue seems to have fixed itself after a few restarts

I also have a question about chipset drivers. I've never updated chipset drivers before, and after looking around for a while, I found that there was a new ryzen chipset driver available from AMD's site (currently 17.10), however, chipset drivers are also available from the motherboard manufacturer. Gigabyte however, hasn't released any new versions of the chipset drivers since the board was released, the current and only version available is 16.50.2601. Is this a different type of chipset driver, or have they not updated theirs yet? Am I forced to wait until they release a newever version or are they simply distributing the exact same chipset drivers as the ones found on AMD's website, meaning that I can download and use those?

Help is highly appreciated, thanks for your time.

This is what I'm currently running:

Desktop

Windows 10 64bit

XFX AMD Radeon HD 6950 1GB (It still works quite well for it's age)

Radeon Software Crimson edition version 16.2.1

Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming K7

Ryzen 1800X

2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200mhz RGB CL16

Silver Power SP-SS500 500W PSU