AnsweredAssumed Answered

Old games crashing with RX 480 Win 7 17.5.1

Question asked by miggy on May 15, 2017
Latest reply on May 19, 2017 by amdmatt

Hi Folks

This is my first post here and to be honest this is my last hope. I recently rebuilt my Windows 7 SP1 64 bit based PC with a new ASUS motherboard, a 8350 CPU and a 8 GIG RX480 also ASUS branded, it's nothing fancy but serves me well enough. I am using a 1080 display via HDMI and have updated Radeon Crimson to the latest edition, 17.5.1 at the time of writing.

When I first got the system up and running again I installed some of my older games like Starcraft 1, C&C Tiberium Sun and Red Alert 1&2. These ran fine but later on all of them refuse to open a screen or just crash to desktop and report they cant open a screen. I tried updating my drivers to the latest version but it didnt help. This same behaviour is now happening with Galactic Civilizations 1&2 also. More modern games still work fine so it seems to be only be effecting these older games. I've tried every compatibility setting I can and tried editing the preferences files for these game (where possible) to run in a window to no avail.

Am I missing some setting I need to apply to my graphics card driver or is there something I need to disable to allow these older games to open a screen? Some of them run in the background but the display isn't being picked up by the HDMI port anymore. I have also installed all the updates from Microsoft so my PC is also upto date with regards to other drivers and service packs.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Outcomes