5 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2017 3:48 AM by amdmatt

HD 7970 low power state monitor flickering

theoneandonlypaul

I got a HD 7970 ghz edition powering two monitors. one 1080p 60hz hdmi and one 1440p 144hz dp (new).

Whenever the card enters the low power state the 1440p monitor starts to flicker. [two additional 1080p monitors are on this system via the onboard intel card]

My understanding is that the hd 7970 has two power saving states. One where it lowers the frequency to 300mhz and one where the card lowers its frequency to 500mhz.

The flickering only happens in the 300mhz power saving state.

My current workaround is to prevent the card from entering that low power state by starting a video player. It then only enters the 500mhz state. Is there anything better I could do to prevent my monitor from flickering? (I also tried changing it down to 60hz but that only lowers the occurrence of flickering, but it's still flickering from time to time.)

• Re: HD 7970 low power state monitor flickering
          ray_m

Bringing in amdmatt who could help.

amdmatt

Does the flickering occur when you disconnect the displays connected to your integrated GPU?

Core clock speed is not related to driving displays, that's memory speed. With one display connected your GPU memory should be at 150Mhz, with two connected it should be higher. I'm not sure why playing a video would stop the flickering, we'll need the essential INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION .

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  theoneandonlypaul

hello @amdmatt and thank you for your reply.

If the memory clock should be higher than 150mhz than this could be the problem. Because it isn't!

The flickering only occurs when the HD 7970 is @300mhz clock and 150mhz ram.

If the HD 7970 is @501mhz clock + 1400mhz ram or higher there is no flickering. Those values are taken from the amd radeon global overdrive statistics (used only to read the values, nothing is overclocked. However I bought the card used.).

Starting to play (I don't even have to play it, it's enough to pause it) a video increases the HD7970 clock and ram speed to 501mhz clock + 1400mhz ram. --> no more flickering occurs. To stop the flickering I can also start a game or a benchmark or anything that makes the HD7970 leave the low power state.

Meanwhile I did some more tests:

Disconnecting the intel displays changed nothing. I also tried the following:

When I only connect the AOC AGON 1440p@144hz everything works fine.(no matter if dp or hdmi)

When I only connect the old 3 displays everything works fine.

When I connect the AOC + one of the old displays the display that connected last starts to flicker.

When I connect the AOC via DP + two old displays via hdmi the two displays that connected last start to flicker.

When I connect the AOC on the Radeon + old displays on the intel nothing flickers

Basically whenever the AOC and another display is connected to the HD 7970 the display that was connected last will flicker.

System:

• AMD desctop Graphics Card
                    • ASUS AMD Radeon HD 7970 DirectCU II  (at stock)
                  • Operating system:
                    • windows 10 64 bit with creators update
                  • Installed Driver
                    • 17.5.1 (the latest driver, at lest the 'update' button doesn't show a newer)
                      • Driver Packaging Version

• 17.10.2711-170502a-313824E-CrimsonReLive

• Display Devices
                    • AOC AGON AG271QX 1444p@144hz connected via DP (changing to hdmi didn't change anything)
                    • LG Flatron wide 1050x1680@60hz via hdmi
                    • MEDITEC 1050x1680@60hz via hdmi
                    • LG 1080p@60hz via hdmi via intel on board card
                  • Motherboard
                    • ASUS p8Z68-V LE
                  • CPU
                    • intel 2500k
                  • Power Suply
                    • seasonic g550
                  • RAM
                    • 32GB