4 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2017 1:47 AM by stormwaltz

Unable to run ~50% of games tried after installing RX-580 and updating drivers - any suggestions?

stormwaltz
      • AMD Graphics Card: Gigabyte Aorus 8GB RX-580
      • Desktop or Laptop System: Desktop
      • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)
      • Driver version installed: Crimson ReLive, I've tried both 17.4.4 and 17.5.1
      • Display Devices: HP Compaq LA2405wg
      • Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z87
      • CPU/APU: Intel i5-4670 Haswell Quad-Core 3.4 GHz
      • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage: Corsair RM 650W
      • RAM: 16GB

I bought a new card this week, cleaned out the old drivers, and installed the latest ones. Since then I've had mostly trouble. All non-gaming applications seem to work fine - Netflix, Twitch, movies on iTunes. Games are a crap shoot. I've attached screencaps of several error messages from the following:

Games That Won't Start / Crash on Load:

Star Trek Online, Star Wars: The Old Republic, World of Warships, Lord of the Rings Online, Guild Wars 2, Saints Row 3, Stellaris, The Secret World, Age of Conan, Sid Meier's Pirates

Games That Run, But With Errors:

Just Cause 3 (stuck in windowed mode, can't set monitor res in options), No Man's Sky (stuck in widowed mode), Shadow of Mordor (loads fine, crashes during benchmarking), Skyrim Special Edition (setup said, "Your video hardware was not identified," but ran fine after manually setting to "ultra" quality)

Games That Run Fine:

Elder Scrolls Online, Civilization VI

All of these games are auto-updated through Steam or their own patching software, and are most-current versions.

I've tried cleaning out old drivers using Guru3D's DDU, and reinstalling from scratch. I've tried reinstalling DirectX, but the installers insist I have a "newer or equivalent" version installed already.

(Edit: cleaned up typos, my apologies)

• Re: Unable to run ~50% of games tried after installing RX-580 and updating drivers - any suggestions?
          dutchoper72

Well, that almost looks like its either AMD's fault or the game developers. Since it is a newer card, you could be running into many issues since those older games weren't programed for the card originally. If you only experience issues in-game its probably software and not hardware. AMD seems to have issues with Drivers for GPU's as the Rx 480 has a lot of strange problems.

If you get incompatibility that really sounds like its AMD or the developers problem and not so much of yours since I've cruised through steam forums and seen other people post issues with the newer AMD cards.

I've always understood that first generation of anything has issues so I try to stay away from them for a bit. If it doesn't have issues while idle, i doubt the card is fault, but that's only a guess since my knowledge is limited.

• Re: Unable to run ~50% of games tried after installing RX-580 and updating drivers - any suggestions?
            shadbr

The problems are the drivers. I dunno if the 17.3.3 works on 580, but if it run, it will be the best option for you. 17.3.3 is the last driver that everything works fine on my RX 460. The 17.4.1 doesn't launch anything either, and 17.4.3 only works dx11 games here, so it's not only on 5xx cards. The problems come to 4xx cards too. I really hope that next driver fixes this bug. Because i never saw such a huge bug like this. And if you look to the board or on the reddit you'll see many people having problems since 17.4.x. More than a month with bad drivers on a row.

stormwaltz

For anyone listening - and thanks to those of you who commented! - I was able to get the problem fixed.

Just don't ask me how. Because I don't know.

It could be one one of two things; either wiping drivers again and installing an older set that came with the card on disc, or a DirectX redistributable someone pointed me to that runs even if it detects a "newer or equivalent version" installed.

If it was the latter, that just leaves me with more questions, because the only software change I made before everything blew up was installing the latest AMD drivers. I don't think that should have damaged or deleted any DirectX files or registry settings?

1 of 1 people found this helpful