motthoi2201

Device specs:

i7-6500U

R7 M370

8GB DDR3

1TB HDD

Windows 7 Pro

Driver: 15.301.something

I purchase an E560 laptop a few months ago, started playing a few games (e.g. Skyrim) then returned the laptop for a slightly different version of it with the same graphics card: R7 M370.

The first laptop could play Skyrim on High/Ultra settings at 1080p very well. Driver version was 16.x

The second, however, struggles on Low settings at a 1600 x 900 resolution.

Recently, I started playing Witcher 3 and had all settings on lowest at 720p, which ran allright (25-30fps). One day, the performance skyrocketed and the game was running between 40 and 50 fps. I've never been able to replicate that instance (which occured in a dense forest area and persisted wherever I went).

What I have tried:

-Setting all possible configurations to maximum performance in Windows 7

-Updating drivers (didn't increase performance, also with the newer ones I couldn't even put my computer to sleep)

-Downloading the 16.x  driver I had on my previous computer (Firefox is telling me that techeng.amd.com was configured improperly, so I couldn't even do that)

-Fiddling with every possible setting in the .ini files

-Performance test gave me a 200 point lower than average rating (1196 vs 1395)

-Disabling all possible background services with msconfig.exe

-Monitoring GPU usage with GPU-Z

Nothing is working and I'm rather frustrated by this.

Could someone please suggest a reason why my graphics card is acting weird?