20 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2017 2:12 AM by twiik

Games won't run after driver update

erlingg-p

I'm a very casual gamer; the only game I play regularly is GT Legends, an old racing sim, and then the odd RPG now and then.  Have just finished Dragon Age 2, and this week purchased Dragon Age Inquisition.  Figured I'd better update my video drivers for this new(ish) game, as it's been a few years since the last time.

Specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel i7-930

RAM: 6Gb

GPU: Msi Radeon R9 280X 3Gb

Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E, Socket-1366

PSU: Antec TruePower New TP-650

Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Service Pack 1

Went to the driver download page and did a manual search, with these criteria:

Desktop Graphics

Radeon R9 Series

Radeon R9 2xx Series

Windows 7 - 64 Bit

Suggested driver was Crimson ReLive Edition 17.5.1, which I downloaded. Uninstalled the old driver, and then installed the new one, including ReLive.  No errors during installation, and when finished, I could enter the new control panel and alter a few settings.

However, no games would run; GT Legends reported that no DX 8.1 videocard was present (game can use DX9, and requires DX 8.1 minimum)  Neither of the Dragon Age games would run either.  Can't recall the exact wording of the errors, but the essence again was that no suitable videocard was present.  I also have a couple of the 'Heaven' benchmarks installed.  V. 2.1 wouldn't run, but 4.0 did - only in a window though; couldn't get it to run fullscreen.

Next I tried the auto detection on the driver page, which wanted to install Crimson ReLive Edition 17.4.4.  I asked for a clean install, and this time skipped ReLive.  No change however; had the exact same issues as with Crimson ReLive Edition 17.5.1.  After this, I uninstalled the new driver and went back to the old one; Catalyst 13.12.  Now everything runs again, including Dragon Age Inquisition.

Anyone have any ideas what could be the explanation ?

I do notice that I have the exact same Motherboard as the poster trying to switch from Nvidia to AMD, and his problem seems quite similar to mine.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

• Re: Games won't run after driver update
          mystikreasons

I have the same problem :/

Just I have an amd raedon hd 7700 series.

I don't thin its the Motherboard, I think the programer dicked around with the Software and released it before testing it. ^^

erlingg-p

In the Nvidia to AMD switch thread, it was suggested to try the 17.2 drivers instead, by someone with the same problem.  I have tried them too, and it solves my problem!

The 3 games I've tried all run now, and as hoped, the newer drivers have given a massive boost in Drago Age Inquisition, with regards to minimum fps.  On 'High' settings, benchmark minimum fps jumped from 20.1 to 35.3.

Do hope this is a temporary issue, so that I'm not barred from driver updates in the future.

shadbr

This last 17.4.x and 17.5.1 are crappy drivers. In my RX 460 i have the same problem that you have. Only works fine until 17.3.3. It's a driver problem, and amd staff doesn't put on known issues or solve this problem. I'm really dissapointed. I used to have a nvidia card and never had such a huge problem like this.

amdmatt

Please try our next driver when it becomes available and let me know if you experience the same issue.

erlingg-p

Ok thanks; will do that.  When do you expect the next one to be ready ?

jeroendstout

Just to let you know, I have the same problem. 17.2 works for me, too.

erlingg-p

Since last I have updated my videocard. It's now an RX 480 8Gb.  I downloaded and tried the latest 17.5.2 drivers, and had all the same issues as with my R9 280X card - none of the 3D applications / games I tried would run.  All reporting in the same fashion as before that I don't have a compatible videocard installed.

Went back to 17.2 and again everything now runs, just as with the previous videocard.

kingfish

Sounds like your OS is not updated. Win7 and Win8.1 must be fully updated with SP1 and all critical, recommended, and relevant optional updates installed before trying to install any AMD driver. Go to Windows Update and run it. If it does Not say 'There are no more updates available' then keep installing/rebooting until you get that message. Then do a clean install of the current drivers.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                erlingg-p

Thanks for the reply and the suggestion.  I was sceptical however, as the same claim was made in a thread preceding mine, where a user switched from Nvidia to AMD.  In his case, it didn't solve the problem.  My Win7 is fully updated, bar two optional updates released on 16/5 (which is two days prior to driver 17.5.2, so doubt they're essential, unless AMD made last minute updates before release), and two earlier updates; the so-called 'Spy patches' (KB3068708 & KB3080149).

I specifically removed the latter two, as I don't care for Microsoft's snooping, and they were causing a ressource hogging task to run rampant on my system.  Am thus loathe to install these again.

Noticed in other threads that several people were having issues like mine, irrespective of Windows version. It was suggested that turning on 'GPU Scaling' solved the issue.  Decided to try this first, and used the auto detect feature to make a clean install of 17.5.2. Quick check confirmed that the problem was back, but after turning on GPU Scaling, it all works!

Thus that would seem to be the core of the problem, more than the Windows state of update.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                    twiik

So you're now able to use the latest driver without issues?

I'm still on the driver that was suggested to me in the other thread and everything is working perfectly, but I can't stay on it forever obviously.

kingfish

What I don't understand is why this is just now being discovered by a few of the posters on this forum. I thought everybody knew that, given it's been around since the first Crimson graphics.

twiik

You must be joking. What does that say about AMD? Their hardware/software doesn't work for a lot of their users without them enabling an obscure setting that's only available if you install the Radeon settings app (right?) and they haven't made this setting default or just integrated it with the driver?

And you've given the same tip about updating Windows in both our threads, why not suggest this? When I at least was clearly a first time AMD user. Not only that, but I googled this issue a ton before making my thread and found nothing related to GPU scaling. Although I don't even know if it this "hack" works for me or not yet because I haven't tried it, I'm still on the old driver that was suggested to me.

I would never buy AMD or recommend AMD to anyone simply because of the fact that when anyone complains about a game not working they are always using AMD. I've been using NVIDIA all my life and never had a single issue, but the first time I try AMD I instantly become one of the complainers.

kingfish

The question is, why has this become a issue now? If you have never seen or used the setting, and haven't had any problems with past drivers...why now? As I said, it's been around since the Crimson drivers.

erlingg-p

One suggestion for an easy check:  Try looking for the GPU scaling setting in your current driver.  It's probably on. If you turn it off and your games then don't work, you could probably use the newest drivers too, as long as GPU scaling is on.

twiik

It's not on. And the setting is not in the driver, but in the software as far as I know. I'm pretty sure I can install the driver without the software if I wanted to. Or it may be in the driver, but how would i access it without the software? NVIDIA has a similar setting in their software, but I only ever install the driver and I wouldn't have turned it on there either if I could because I've always read that it was better to let the display handle the scaling than the GPU because the display is better suited for it and that way you take some work away from the GPU, but that may be outdated or incorrect information to begin with for all I know. Either way I've never run my display at anything other than native resolution so there shouldn't be any need for scaling anyway. Which is why this seems like a hack to work around the actual problem to begin with.

But I won't argue any further on this. It's great if it works and I'll test it out myself when I update the driver.

erlingg-p

This is the first time in a couple of years that I've updated my drivers.  Never had the issue before, and didn't visit this forum before encountering it, so how would I know about it ?