AnsweredAssumed Answered

Games won't run after driver update

Question asked by erlingg-p on May 11, 2017
Latest reply on May 29, 2017 by twiik

I'm a very casual gamer; the only game I play regularly is GT Legends, an old racing sim, and then the odd RPG now and then.  Have just finished Dragon Age 2, and this week purchased Dragon Age Inquisition.  Figured I'd better update my video drivers for this new(ish) game, as it's been a few years since the last time.

Specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel i7-930

RAM: 6Gb

GPU: Msi Radeon R9 280X 3Gb

Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E, Socket-1366

PSU: Antec TruePower New TP-650

Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Service Pack 1

Went to the driver download page and did a manual search, with these criteria:

Desktop Graphics

Radeon R9 Series

Radeon R9 2xx Series

Windows 7 - 64 Bit

Suggested driver was Crimson ReLive Edition 17.5.1, which I downloaded. Uninstalled the old driver, and then installed the new one, including ReLive.  No errors during installation, and when finished, I could enter the new control panel and alter a few settings.

However, no games would run; GT Legends reported that no DX 8.1 videocard was present (game can use DX9, and requires DX 8.1 minimum)  Neither of the Dragon Age games would run either.  Can't recall the exact wording of the errors, but the essence again was that no suitable videocard was present.  I also have a couple of the 'Heaven' benchmarks installed.  V. 2.1 wouldn't run, but 4.0 did - only in a window though; couldn't get it to run fullscreen.

Next I tried the auto detection on the driver page, which wanted to install Crimson ReLive Edition 17.4.4.  I asked for a clean install, and this time skipped ReLive.  No change however; had the exact same issues as with Crimson ReLive Edition 17.5.1.  After this, I uninstalled the new driver and went back to the old one; Catalyst 13.12.  Now everything runs again, including Dragon Age Inquisition.

Anyone have any ideas what could be the explanation ?

I do notice that I have the exact same Motherboard as the poster trying to switch from Nvidia to AMD, and his problem seems quite similar to mine.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Outcomes