1 Reply Latest reply on May 12, 2017 3:51 AM by conraire

Slow HDD under RYZEN system

lincer556

Ok so the thing goes something like this, i've built a new RYZEN 1600 system with a ASUS PRIME B350M-A giving the old i5-2310 with an ASUS P8H61M-LX Rev.3 to my brother and buying some new stuff for both PC's.

Both devices have the same Operating System HDD alike, a SEAGATE Barracuda 1000mb 7200rpm 64mb each brand new, the issue is that my RYZEN CPU being SATA-III in comparision to the old i5 that's a SATA-II is more slow in HDD management.

I've made some benchmarks with CrystalDiskMark 5.2.1 x64 and here are the results.

As you can see is a peak of 30-40mb of read speed, and the same to write speeds.

And as far as i know, is has to be more powerful my Ryzen system.

I don't know if it's a technical find, or bug, issue, i don't really know, please provide help.

Things i've did, changing the SATA cables, changing PSU, changing SATA slots, all the same.

The builds are

• Intel i5-2310
      • ASUS P8H61M-LX Rev.3
      • 16GB DDR3 1866 rated @1333mhz Kingston Hyper-X (Two slots x8gb)
      • Seagate Barracuda 1000mb S.O. Drive
      • WD Caviar Blue 1000mb Sec.Drive.
      • AMD Ryzen 1600
      • ASUS PRIME B350M-A
      • 8GB DD4 2400mhz Kingston Hyper-X
      • Seagate Barracuda 1000mb S.O. Drive
      • WD Cabiar Blue 2000mb Sec.Drive
        • Re: Slow HDD under RYZEN system
          conraire
          • AMD Ryzen 1700x
          • ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional gaming
          • 16GB DDR4 3200mhz G.Skill Flare X
          • Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SATA 6Gb/s OS Drive, Windows 10 Pro
          • Seagate FireCuda 2TB SSHD SATA 6Gb/s Secondary Game install drive
          • Samsung Spinpoint F3 1000GB SATA 3Gb/s Backup Storage drive

After testing my own system here for the last hour or two.  I've seen the following things, using the benchmark you used.

Hdd test 1.jpgHdd test 2.jpgSSD Test.jpg

The SSD seems to be performing properly according to the benchmark.  My HDD and SSHD on the other hand appear to be showing poor sequential read/write performance.  And lackluster 4k performance on the HDD, and 4k read performance on the SSHD..

Now on the other hand... Actual real world file transfer performance, I tested using a 2GB MP4 file, moving and copying it between drives.

Moving from the SATA3 SSHD to the SATA2 HDD = 211MB/s, 206MB/s from HDD to SSHD.  Which seems to be contradicting the benchmark results for the 2 drives by a fair amount.  It's most likely just the benchmark not playing nice with the current drivers for the chipset.  I'd suggest testing moving a few large files around on your computer to see if the actual performance is matching with what the benchmark is saying.

SSHD to HDD test.jpg

Moving between the SSD and SSHD transfers too fast to take a snapshot of, due to the SSHD's 8GB of NAND Flash memory.