4 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2017 9:14 AM by frency

(Apparently) AMD driver and Steam games conflict

frency

Good day everyone and thank you in advance for dedicating your precious time in reading this.

----------------------------------------------

My system specifications are:

• AMD Graphics Card
        • AMD HD 7870 ghz Edition
      • Desktop or Laptop System
        • Desktop System
      • Operating System
        • Windows 10 64bit
      • Driver version installed
        • Radeon ReLive 17.4.4
      • Display Devices
        • Dell U2412M, DVI, 1920x1200, 60hz
      • Motherboard
        • AsRock Z77 Pro3
      • CPU/APU
        • Intel i5-3570K
      • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
        • Seasonic G550 550W
      • RAM
        • 8 GB

----------------------------------------

The issue firstly started some days ago. I was playing a game on Steam ("Governor of Poker 3"). After about 30 minutes, I quit it. On the same day, after several hours, I came back to run it again, but instead of running normally:

1)the Steam window "preparing to launch XYZ game" did not appear

2)The game window showed up anyway but a pink screen appeared instead of the classic loading screen image

I had to manually close the game. I tried several times to launch / close; result: same.

Then I tried to run other games which gave me the following errors:

1)"DOTA 2": Unable to find a Direct3D device.

2)"Shadow Warrior": DirectX 10 device not found!

3)GTA Vice City: (it just didn't start, or, better saying, it started and then it closed almost immediately)

4)The other games show similar error messages / do not start / they start but nothing happens.

By reading on the internet I suspected it could have been the driver's fault, so what I tried to do was:

1)Open Windows Safe Mode

2)Unistall drivers with DDU

3)Cleaning the registry (always in safe mode) with CCleaner.

4)Rebooting

5)Clean installing the drivers with AMD auto-detect tool.

The step 5 led me to 2 different results

1)Nothing changed, the games kept having the same issue.

2)I could not use the autodetect tool, because it said it could not recognize the VGA.

Then, I tried to manually select my VGA model on the AMD driver site and I installed the "minimal" version. This solution seemed to work until today. Today, I was playing "GTA Vice City" without any problem. When I was going to quit it, I noticed the game didn't close itself after the "ending screen", so I manually quit it. Then I tried to run it again and it did not work. Did the test on the other games and discovered that the same problem appeared once again. I then disabled Windows 10 automatic driver update, thinking that was the cause and then I repeated the steps that worked for me previously. This time howewer, it did not work.

I hope the explanation was clear and concise.

Truly thank you again and have a good day.

Post Scriptum: I will keep investigating in order to sovle this problem. If I discover something, I will update the thread.

• Re: (Apparently) AMD driver and Steam games conflict
          kingfish

And have you taken the steps to prevent/delay Microsoft from automatically changing/installing graphics drivers? > Windows 10 Forums

Have you deleted the contents of C:/AMD?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              frency

I couldn't follow the steps from the instructions you linked because I have Windows 10 Home version, but I followed another path that led me to the same result.

the instructions are here: Stop automatic driver updates on Windows 10 | Windows 10 content from SuperSite for Windows (the only difference is that the "no" options now contains only "no" and it doesn't let you choose, so I guess it's a definitive "no, do not automatically update the drivers").

I also checked it previosuly and I got the confirm that W10 did not automatically update the drivers, apparently.

I will now repeat the same procedure and I will delete the contents of C:/AMD and I'll see if it works. Thank you.

Edit 1: I completely deleted the AMD folder like you suggested and it seems to be working for now. I will wait for a decent amount of time to see if anything happens again. If everything keeps going properly, I will mark your answer as "correct" in order to help the community as well.

Once again, thank you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                frency

Good morning and again, thank you in advance.

Today I tried to play "Shadow Warrior", but the message "DirectX 10 device not found!" appeared once again. I tried to launch "DOTA 2" and I got the "Unable to find a Direct3D device" message again.

I did not update any driver, neither modify anything (folders, phisically removing VGA ecc).

The automatic update feature on Radeon ReLive is set on "off".

frency

Hello everyone. I think I might have solved the issue.

I went to the Windows 10 Device Manager and saw that the integrated video card (Intel HD 4000) was enabled. I then disabled it, rebooted the PC and now the problem is not showing.

That may have been the problem until now. I will wait some decent amount of time (again) and, if, after this time, the problem doesn't show anymore, I'll mark this answer as the solution.

Thank you everyone. Have a nice day.