AnsweredAssumed Answered

(Apparently) AMD driver and Steam games conflict

Question asked by frency on May 10, 2017
Latest reply on May 21, 2017 by frency

Good day everyone and thank you in advance for dedicating your precious time in reading this.

----------------------------------------------

My system specifications are:

• AMD Graphics Card
    • AMD HD 7870 ghz Edition
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Desktop System
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit
  • Driver version installed
    • Radeon ReLive 17.4.4
  • Display Devices
    • Dell U2412M, DVI, 1920x1200, 60hz
  • Motherboard
    • AsRock Z77 Pro3
  • CPU/APU
    • Intel i5-3570K
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • Seasonic G550 550W
  • RAM
    • 8 GB

----------------------------------------

The issue firstly started some days ago. I was playing a game on Steam ("Governor of Poker 3"). After about 30 minutes, I quit it. On the same day, after several hours, I came back to run it again, but instead of running normally:

1)the Steam window "preparing to launch XYZ game" did not appear

2)The game window showed up anyway but a pink screen appeared instead of the classic loading screen image

I had to manually close the game. I tried several times to launch / close; result: same.

Then I tried to run other games which gave me the following errors:

1)"DOTA 2": Unable to find a Direct3D device.

2)"Shadow Warrior": DirectX 10 device not found!

3)GTA Vice City: (it just didn't start, or, better saying, it started and then it closed almost immediately)

4)The other games show similar error messages / do not start / they start but nothing happens.

By reading on the internet I suspected it could have been the driver's fault, so what I tried to do was:

1)Open Windows Safe Mode

2)Unistall drivers with DDU

3)Cleaning the registry (always in safe mode) with CCleaner.

4)Rebooting

5)Clean installing the drivers with AMD auto-detect tool.

The step 5 led me to 2 different results

1)Nothing changed, the games kept having the same issue.

2)I could not use the autodetect tool, because it said it could not recognize the VGA.

Then, I tried to manually select my VGA model on the AMD driver site and I installed the "minimal" version. This solution seemed to work until today. Today, I was playing "GTA Vice City" without any problem. When I was going to quit it, I noticed the game didn't close itself after the "ending screen", so I manually quit it. Then I tried to run it again and it did not work. Did the test on the other games and discovered that the same problem appeared once again. I then disabled Windows 10 automatic driver update, thinking that was the cause and then I repeated the steps that worked for me previously. This time howewer, it did not work.

I hope the explanation was clear and concise.

Truly thank you again and have a good day.

Post Scriptum: I will keep investigating in order to sovle this problem. If I discover something, I will update the thread.

Outcomes