1 Reply Latest reply on May 15, 2017 8:15 AM by ray_m

Graphics card overheating leading to no signal on monitor (fan issue)

bomj

Graphics Card: AMD RX-460

Desktop

Operating System: Windows 7

Driver Version: Radeon Software Version 17.4.4 (Crimson ReLive)

Display: ASUS VH236H Monitor 1980x1080 60 Hz HDMI Cable from Monitor to Graphics Card (AMD RX-460)

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V LX

CPU:  Intel i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz

Power Supply: EVGA 700B 700W

RAM: 8 GB

The issue I am experiencing is that the fan on the RX-460 either doesn’t spin at all, or starts and stops spinning slowly. I have two slots for the card on my motherboard. On the top slot, the fan doesn’t spin at all, during gaming or with an idle system. On the bottom slot, it starts and stops during gaming or videos, and stays at 0 RPM when idle. In either slot, the card eventually overheats and I lose signal on the monitor while the card starts spinning at full speed. The only thing to do from there is to turn off or restart the computer. This happens most frequently after 20-30 minutes of gaming (almost any relatively demanding game).

I previously had a nVIDIA card (GTX 560 Ti) and I had the same issue with the fan not spinning properly (stopping & starting). I replaced the graphics card with the currently installed AMD RX-460 and updated the power supply to the EVGA 700B as stated above. The problem still continues regardless of these replacements.

In “Radeon Settings” AMD has the Global Wattman feature and when I try to set the fan to spin to a manual number of RPM it stays at 0 or continues to start and stop during videos/games. When I try this in the top slot (where the fan doesn’t spin even during gaming/videos), it crashes the Radeon Settings application and the screen goes black for a moment until the message comes up that the graphics card has recovered.

I will post screenshots of the Global Wattman statistics with an idle system and during gaming. I will also attach a picture of the inside of the case (motherboard, etc.)

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help identify the issue. Thank you.