12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2017 12:32 AM by rebelyell

Ryzen 1600 for video editing?

eastflorida

I'm looking to do my first build in several years. Trying to figure out the best bang for my buck.

Anyway, I want to edit GoPro videos. Nothing fancy but my current setup takes hours to render! LOL

I'll also use it a a HTPC streaming video content to my TV.

I don't want to go crazy, but I don't want to skimp too much. I need some suggestion please...

Processor: Ryzen 1600?

Ram: 8 or 16GB?

Ram Speed: 2400 or less?

A350 Chip Set MB?

SSD?

ATX vs mATX form?

HD 1 or 2 TB?

Video card?

I'm not really into overclocking, just want something stable and relatively fast.  I'm no pro, but the old stuff has finally beaten me down.  As I mentioned, it's been a while so I'm trying to get myself back up to date on all the new stuff! LOL  I have no idea what SSD to use, etc, so any input is welcome...

I'm reading I get more performance for better value considering Ryzen 1600 vs Intel i3,5, etc...  Help guide a newbie!!

• Re: Ryzen 1600 for video editing?
          gkeawe

The Ryzen 5 1600 is an excellent choice, you'll notice a big difference in rendering times. I'd go with some G.Skill 32GB DDR4-2400 4x8GB Fortis Series or FlareX both brands are good, also I would go with a mainstream chipset B350 based motherboard. I have two Asus Prime B350-Plus motherboards and they run great with the current 0609 Bios update. I'm running a 400GB Intel 750 PCIe SSD, 2TB HDD for game videos, etc. Thermaltake 600Watt PSU,  XFX Radeon RX480 8GB Video Card,  Coolermaster HAF XB Evo LAN Box

The Ryzen5 1600 is running Windows 10 Pro version 1703 OS build 15063.296

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            conraire

I agree with gkeawe.

The prices I'm mentioning are from newegg.  You may be able to find them cheaper elsewhere.  Though if you want to give us a budget to work with pcpartpicker lists are always handy to post.

The Ryzen R5 1600(219.99) or 1600x(249.99) are both extremely good choices for what you're wanting to do, especially if you're on a mid range budget.

Ram: 16GB Minimum, and as fast as you can afford to get.  I'm using G.Skill Flare X 3200mhz with my R7 1700x, at its rated speed.  Watch what ram you buy though, as Ryzen is very picky yet, due to the 1t command rate it uses for memory.  Usually anything rated for cas15 or lower will give you the most likely chance to run at rated speeds..

I'd say B350 at least, to retain as many features as possible from the X370 chipset.

SSD: Largest one you can afford to get on your budget.  Use this for your OS and app drive.  And if you happen to game, a few games that you play a lot.  A decent budget SSD I can think of off the top of my head would be the 275GB Crucial MX300(99.99).

HDD:  Use a decent size HDD for your video recording and storage drive.  2TB is reasonable now.  I run a 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD(103.99) as my main storage drive. Though you can get a regular 2TB Barracuda 7200rpm drive for around 79.99 at the moment.

Form factor:  Its really hard to say at the moment, since the choices of mATX boards for Ryzen are extremely limited.  None of those I've seen so far, have any particularly stellar features.  There are only 2 I'd recommend at this point if you want to go with a smaller microATX case, first one is the MSI B350M Mortar Arctic(99.99), and a close second place is the ASRock AB350M Pro4(79.99).  As far as full atx goes, around that price range you're looking at the higher end of the b350, or the lower end x370 boards.

And before I recommend a video card, do you plan to do any gaming?  Or just video editing and encoding?

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              rebelyell

1700x ryzen

asus crosshair hero x370

g.skill 16gb 3200mhz flare-x  these also clock 3467mhz as per g.skill factory setting 16 16 16 "quote" stock on both settings same stick in 3200 box

sapphire r9 nitro fury or even rx 390

ssd well pny is cheap but you need to make your own overprovisioning on disk so samsung 850 evo magician tool to op.

evga g2 850 watt psu

atx form factor board

thats a rock solid build

the g.skill and crosshair is critical to have if you want a build to last and run at stock clocks with out issues no problem.

i see so many people try to cut 50$ here and 50 on that and it dont work out to even stock settings. think about it

do not buy 3000mhz ram period. thats ryzen hole mapping spot , ryzen dont like those. and dont get hynix junk..

trick is higher the ram ryzen just goes ape shneit.

rebelyell

yes i built close to that..

1800x 4.0ghz

asus crosshair hero x370

g.skill 16gb flare-x  3200mhz which also run 3467mhz factory same chip

2 r9 nitro fury xfired

corsair h110i water cooler

evga 1300 watt psu

samsung evo 850 1tb

IN win case which is huge and very nice awsome airflow

water cooler in push pull config

rgb lighting with remote control lol

logitech z-5500 550 watt thx surround system

win7 in dual boot with linux

runs friggin awsome...

rebelyell

you really should only buy g.skill ram  and faster make ryzen cpu run better because of its cache difference from intel nothing under 3200mhz is an almost must. asus still holding better than the rest but gigabyte 3rd msi at bottom asrock is doing 2nd place. recommend x370 chip boards b350 dont seem to be getting good ram stable.