4 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2017 3:30 PM by elstaci

Last two AMD drivers causing Video crashes on HD 7850

elstaci

Since the last two or three latest amd drivers to come out, My video has crashed while watching videos or playing Hidden Object games intermittently. Each time I need to do a Hard reboot to get my video back. I decided to uninstall the 17.5.1 and reinstall the first amd driver for the Creator's version of Windows 10 (17.4.3) to see if the problem reoccurs. Also I took a glance at Event Viewer and I found many critical or warnings concerning the graphic driver or hardware. One common warning was the graphics was being overloaded. I also have intermittent BSOD with System exception. But I believe that was caused by Mcafee Antivirus which I uninstalled today. But It could also be the amd driver since it BSOD at start up. Today (5/9/17), the video crashed again. Uninstalled the first driver compatible with Windows Creator's Update and reinstalled the one before it.

I have an Asus Sabertooth 990FX Gen 2.0 , Visiontek HD 7850 graphics card, 16 gb of Corsair ddr3 ram, AMD fx 8350 - 8 core cpu, and 850 corsair Power supply with an Acer HD monitor connected via HDMI to an Onkyo Receiver. Forgot to mention I have Windows 10 Pro (1511 version).

I did open a Bug report with AMD but decided to post here also since I couldn't attach a photo of the video crash.

Attach is a photo of how my video looks after it crashes>

• Re: Last two AMD drivers causing Video crashes on HD 7850
          ray_m

What do you mean by "One common warning was the graphics was being overloaded."?

elstaci

I can't seem to locate the area of Event Viewer that showed me that with other amd warnings and errors. The part about the graphic overload was in a group of warnings or errors, which I can't locate now. The only thing I saw common was video memory problems like the one below:

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance

Date:          4/18/2017 5:51:08 PM

Event ID:      500

Task Category: Desktop Window Manager Monitoring

Level:         Warning

Keywords:      Event Log

User:          LOCAL SERVICE

Computer:      elstaci

Description:

The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention.

Scenario : Video memory resources are over-utilized and there is thrashing happening as a result. Reducing number of running programs and open windows may help resolve this condition.

The pattern I received when the video crashed, in your opinion, is it a hardware or driver problem?

kingfish

Seems to me it's exactly what the warning says "

The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention.

Scenario : Video memory resources are over-utilized and there is thrashing happening as a result. Reducing number of running programs and open windows may help resolve this condition."

elstaci

Well, My computer is working normal again. No video crashes nor BSOD since uninstalling 4.11.17 creator compatible driver and reinstalling the last previous AMD driver before 4.11,17.  Seems like AMD Driver made compatible for Creator version of Windows 10 is incompatible with Anniversary Windows 10. At least in my computer configuration. I backup my windows system using Windows 10 backup and system image program and Acronis. No video crashes or BSOD. Before with the 4.11.17 AMD Driver, Using Windows 10 backup program it BSOD, and while using Acronis the video crashed like the photo.

By the way, I know what the warning meant, I was just mentioning to Matt that was all I saw in Event Viewer. Before I read warnings or error saying something about graphic overload which seems like it was already deleted.