19 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2017 4:59 PM by ajlueke

Green Fury

mjpbmp

Description

This is my Ryzen rig that came into being with the CPU, mother board and memory bought for a birthday present by my father.  The rest I put together.  Absolutely the best machine I have ever owned.

IMG_0785.JPG

My father sent me a refurbished EK Extreme 360 Starter Liquid Cooling Kit that he was not going to use.  I installed it but the motherboard needed to be replaced so it is currently still sitting standby.

When my father bought the motherboard he was going to get my first choice which was the Asus Crosshair Hero, but it was out of stock in most places and only a few retailers trying to sell it for over $100 over normal retail.  He then ordered an Asus Prime board that also was out of stock and to be backordered if he went through with the order.  He cancelled it and bought the MSI Titanium.  The memory is not on the boards tested list and should never be at this point.  It will only run at 2133 speed.  Anything higher and the BIOS goes nuts.

IMG_0784.JPG.png

The main thing I do like about this board are the two M.2 slots.  I had the PCIe 2.0 x4 M.2 SSD in my old FX8370 system and that migrated over to this system.  I bought the Samsung and WD Blue for this system.  That Samsung is very fast.  I am not sure why the Disc Drive 3 in the form did not fill out.  It is a 1TB WD Blue SATA 3.0 SSD and is used as my main storage drive.  The Samsung is hosting my OS, which is Windows 10 Pro, games and programs.  The Kingston M.2 is housing all my documents and libraries.

IMG_0858.JPG

IMG_0870.JPG

Without further ado...  Green Fury, System MP:  Mondo Pagoda, Ryzen Star... 

Specifications

CPUR7 1800X
      CoolerCorsair H100i v2
      MotherboardMSI X370 XPower Titanium
      Memory16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3000
      Graphics2 MSI Radeon RX 470 GAMING X in Crossfire
      Disc Drive 1512GB Samsung 960 Pro PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD
      Disc Drive 2240GB Kingston HyperX Predator M.2 PCIe 2.0 x4 SSD
      Disc Drive 3{drive3}
      PSUCorsair RM1000x
      CasePhanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass - Grey
      MonitorLG 34" 21:9 UltraWide® QHD IPS Curved LED Monitor (34" Diagonal) 34UC88
        • Re: Green Fury
          whiskey-foxtrot

Congratulations! Nice looking rig and glad to finally see it. Are you going to incorporate the EKWB AOI kit? You'd be surprised what a difference that can make in temps.

As for the Dominator RAM - have you updated to the current BIOS from MSI? Also what have you done so far for timings and BCLK?

mjpbmp

I was going to but it does not fit logistically in the case like I envisioned.  I had it installed and working already but the first MSI board I got was dead.  Would not post or boot at all.  That board was RMA'd and now I have this new board.  I have had many problems with this one and MSI asked me to RMA this one too after my initial request for service/assistance. 

On the BIOS issue I have 1.6 (as of yesterday) and I think 1.6 made my board worse.  I had all types of troubles with it.  I have it running again with everything at default speeds.  I can OC the CPU just fine, but not how the board is supposed to work.  Command Center will not work at all anymore with the newer BIOS updates past 1.3.

I have been able to get the RAM to boot and run at 2666 with the first motherboard, but did not get to test it out for very long before the board just died.  This new board will not run anything beyond 2133 no matter what settings I tweak for the RAM.  I have not tried all the combinations yet because most of the time even the slightest change and bump up in speed throws the BIOS into a non-post status and I have to reset CMOS to get the board to boot back into the BIOS.

I will RMA this board and have already bought and will test the ASRock Fatal1ty X370 board.  Let the better board win!

jaandoh

Yeah Congratulations it looks superb, reminds me of the Hulk...

And did you manage to set the bios settings for the 3000Mhz Corsair Ram?

I'd be interested to know the how you set the RAM up.

When I changed my RAM settings My mobo refused to boot, so I set it back to auto and my 3000 Mhz Vengence RAM is running at 2100Mhz only ..

My Bios is V1.4 my mobo  is Carbon Pro Gaming.

mjpbmp

Thanks for the congrats.  As for the RAM, the first board ran at max 2666 but I did not get to test if that was really stable because the board died completely within days of having it up and running.  This new board will not run my RAM beyond "Auto" default settings at all.  Any change sends the BIOS into cardiac arrest and only a CMOS jumper reset will bring it back to life.  In my head I scream, "Clear!" each time I reset it.

It sounds like we have chips off the old block with our motherboards.  I am very disappointed with my MSI board.  My 990FX MSI board was one of my favorite boards in recent times.  Not sure what happened with this one.  I will keep sending them back until I get a good one that works.

iwalkwithedead

Boooo, green, booooo!

xD Kidding

Looks good, great parts, nice build.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    mjpbmp

Here is the update to Green Fury.  I just swapped out the motherboard with the ASRock X370 Gaming Professional Series.  So far very good.  With the old boards (2 from MSI so far) the memory was not cooperating with that board at all.  I tried all 6 versions of the BIOS and did not get the memory to run past 2133 with stability at all.  I think I could have eventually got it running stable if I were not dealing with so many other issues with that board.  Maybe the third time is the charm as I will RMA that board.  More to come on when that returns.  I may donate it as a give-away but I have not decided yet. 

This same memory is running at 2666 speed with great stability.  Yet, not at the timings advertised for the XMP speed settings.  I am sure I can get it up to 3000+ with some time with this new board and learning the settings.

My only issue now is with Microsoft giving me fits with my Windows 10 license because I am on my 3rd motherboard.  Currently they are refusing to activate my windows pro edition because it is "already been activated" on "another machine."  Of course, it has not, just new hardware, again.  I will get it activated again, but it is not pleasant at all with Microsoft's procedure.  I feel as if I am being punished for all those that have pirated software from them.  Listen MS, "I paid for mine!"  This is truly the best machine I have ever owned.  My 70 year old father still builds computers and does own a 6950X and my R7 1800X beats that processor's out of the box speed at less than 1/3 the price.  If I over clock my chip to only 4.0 I kill that processor's out of the box speed.  Even with its 20 threads.  Now, that chip can beat mine when over clocked, but at $1,700 it better!!!

iwalkwithedead

A few RTP members have huge issues with your MSI board. they nicknamed it Pissboard. lol

kxuping

iwalkwithedead can you please explain more about the problems of this board?

whiskey-foxtrot

kxuping : ajlueke stumbled upon one particular issue on our forums with the "Pissboards" here: VERY weird Ryzen+RX480 system behavior, please help!  (read down to the middle where he answers another users reply). I've seen this on a few other forums as well and wasn't actively looking for it but noticed a trend; conflicts with the PCI-e lanes when an add-on card other than the GPU is used and sometimes with the on-board NIC doing the same.

ajlueke

You rang?  In the case of jocpro's MSI B350 Tomahawk, the working theory is that an older universal (3.3V/5V) PCI card may be causing PCI mistiming on cold boot.  That shouldn't be an issue on the MSI XPower Titanium, as it has no PCI ports.  He can work around the issue by either immediately restarting after cold boot, or removing the sound card altogether.  Hopefully MSI will be able to provide a more definitive solution.  I too am curious, what are the huge issues with the XPower specifically?  Large number of RMAs?  Poor overclocking?

As far as the ASRock board, you should be able to run your kit at the rated speed without issue.  I have a similar Corsair Dominator kit (4x8Gb), at CL14 3200.  I can run two of the DIMMs at the rate speed simply by setting the XMP profile.  That has been true since BIOS 1.5.  If I install all four DIMMs, then the highest I can go is 2666MHz at CL14.  Hopefully the fabled May AGESA update will allow me to run all four at rated speed.

jocpro

The only issues with the XPower that I know of are the lack of Base Clock Generator, arguably underwhelming VRM configuration and it being somewhat overpriced (consequence of the two former). But at least in the MSI forums the people is rather happy with theirs as it has had a lot of improvement with the BIOS updates. Most of the complaints are for the lower priced boards, I think because of higher sale volumes.

I've seen a lot of people confused about the PCIe lane configuration in their motherboards, specially the ones with dual M.2 Slots and extra SATA ports, as they can't understand that the lane shortage forces a lot of things to be disabled to be able to use that second M.2 port, like losing a PCIe slot or two SATA ports... There are even some B350 Gigabyte motherboards with this limitation with just a single M.2 slot!

As for your four DIMM setup, you are already well over the spec, as it's officially supported to up to 2133 MT/s. With my dual rank dual DIMM setup I can get it stable at 2933 MT/s, and no further even with the new AGESA version in my Tomahawk... but I find it somewhat faster running at 2667 MT/s with tight timings (and Dual Rank is supposed to be faster that Single Rank, so it's kind of equivalent to 3200 MT/s), even if it lowers my interCCX and L3 cache communication speed.

ajlueke

"As for your four DIMM setup, you are already well over the spec, as it's officially supported to up to 2133 MT/s"

Actually, per my manual the following is officially supported.

Capture.PNG

Your point is valid however.  According to the official specs on my board, 2133-2400 is the max I should expect with all for DIMM slots occupie,d and I'm sitting at 2667.  Similarly, 2667 is the max rated for two single rank and I was able to get that to 3200.  So, as you say, I am already performing above spec.  There is much ado about the May 1.0.0.6 AGESA update adding support for 3400 and 3600 speeds.  We'll have to see how that goes, but I guess I don't really have anything to complain about.  Other than a minor hiccup with the Aquantia network port, this board has been running great.

iwalkwithedead

Loss of Bios, reboots with no post, no boot, hardware not recognizing, no lights, horrible ram issues, DOA and dying after a week.

Just a few that I have heard

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                        mjpbmp

Reboots with no post all the time...  No memory at any settings or timings will go beyond 2133 speed...  I had two boards already...  updated 6 versions of BIOS's in two months...  I would set the BIOS to "load optimized defaults" and the BIOS would crash and not post until I cleared CMOS.  Can you seriously tell me this is a good board?  Worth the price?  Those few who hit the lottery with their boards running fine...  I am glad for them.  I really wanted this board to work out.  My last MSI board I loved.  It is the opposite with this model.