10 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2017 1:22 PM by black_zion

RX 480 Crossfire Overheating

sensiblemender

SYSTEM SPECS

Case: Corsair Air 540

Motherboard: MSI 990FXA Gaming

Processor: FX-8350 (with a corsair H100i GTX cooler)

Ram: 16gb DDR3

PSU: Rosewill RBR1000MS 1000Watt 80+ Bronze

Gpus: 2x XFX RX 480 8gb (the best buy edition ones)

Driver version:17.5.1

Hi everyone. As the title says I am having a bit of an issue with my crossfire setup. After playing some games for some time I am having an issue where one of my cards is overheating causing the PC to crash(I believe at least. One of the cards feels very hot to the touch.) I believe it has to do with the second card is restricting airflow for the first card. I was wondering if anyone knew of any solutions for this. I am looking into possibly setting them up with liquid cooling but I dont want to go buying a bunch of parts I dont need. I have tried setting the fan speed on both cards to max as well as turning all the case fans to max settings in the bios, as well as removing the side panel to allow better airflow. So anyways,

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to better cool these cards or reduce the amount of heat their creating. Im open to aftermarket coolers/liquid cooling as well if it is necessary. But preferably something thats not too expensive

• Re: RX 480 Crossfire Overheating
          black_zion

The second card shouldn't be restricting the airflow to the first, PCIe 2 and 5 are the x16 electrical slots, so there's a full slot width between them, so there's the airflow path in your case. Radiator mounted at the top which is ideal, but the air of the intakes is directed to the first GPU and the chipset, which, combined with the high rear fan, creates a huge dead air zone at the bottom from the second GPU down, as there's no side or bottom vents. That is quite possibly the worst $160 case I've ever seen (I have the Corsair C70 myself). Even in their pictures it shows very little airflow being directed underneath the bottom GPU, You can't have all the fans cranked up to the max, that just sucks more air away from your GPUs and exacerbates the problem

I have two suggestions. The first would be to adjust the fans. Flip the rear fan around, turning it into an intake, and spin it at about 50%, this is to counter the suction effect and adjust the front intakes to more of a linear profile while feeding the radiator with colder external air. Then take the radiator fans and spin them fairly slowly, around 40% or 1000RPM (I had a FX-8350 at 4.6ghz and a Corsair H105, spun the fans at 900-1000RPM, and could run Prime95 without overheating, and it's within a couple of degrees of your cooler in terms of pwer), this also reduces the suction effect. The front fans, spin them at 100% if they are quiet or the noise doesn't bother you, else you could probably get by with 75%, your PSU is vented so there will be no positive pressure, and the suction effect created by the graphics cards will help bend the airflow from the intakes downwards.

If that fails, your only real option would be to upgrade to a case with at least a side vent but preferably a bottom vent as well, like the C70, as I think it's a stretch to use that case with 2 graphics cards. Don't think about liquid cooling those cards, as you are talking about a large expense which would have been better spent on a single RX Vega card late this month.

Also, Rosewill is garbage, so next time you see a SeaSonic, Enermax, or Super Flower 750-850w PSU on a good sale, might think about getting it so you're not playing Russian Roulette.

sensiblemender

The fans aren't too loud honestly (they're actually the same line of fans you have in that picture) so I don't mind cranking them up a bit, though i do feel I shouldn't need to do that. Currently there is about a 1/4" gap between the 2 cards, just big enough to fit my finger between. Now looking at my motherboards diagram I'm starting to think I can probably drop the second card down 1 PCIE slot. I didn't think about it last night but I think I could do that giving it ample space. I don't remember the placement off my head though as I am not home as of writing this. Now I was also wondering, It might be beneficial to move the radiator to the front of the case and having it blow out the front and have the top fans and rear fan pull air as it would blow directly on the cards. (I don't know just a though) I also have enough fans(about 4 more) to add a push/pull setup to the radiator.

I will try your suggestion tonight and see how it plays out and also drop the second gpu down a slot if I have the space for it. If that doesnt work Ill switch around some fans and see how that works.

As per the PSU. Yeah, its pretty garbage. It supplies the power I need but I would much rather have a higher rated psu. The only reason I'm using that one is my friend gave it to me for 20 bucks along with an ssd and a liquid cooling setup (got rid of that thing it was not good) when he was selling off his exes old pc parts (it was his pc he just let her use it)

sensiblemender

OK, update on the issue, I set up the fans as suggested and found no change. I can usually run a game for about 30-60 minutes (depending on how graphics intensive) before the card gets upwards of 70-80 Celsius, then it will freeze, then crash in a way that looks like the below picture. I have attempted to remove the second gpu and run it single gpu to free up air flow but there does not seem to be any change. I plan on swapping the card out for the other one tonight to see if it does it on that card and see if i may need to RMA it.

This isnt my picture but the image on the monitor looks very similar. it is a samsung 4k monitor not sure the exact model

20170120_213537.thumb.jpg.6c328fb1bfadedbe2a5b0fd8f6c7cce3.jpg