10 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2017 8:41 AM by eightgear

17.5.1 black screen

bonhamdvd

When updating to 17.4.4 or the optional 17.5.1 the display on my computer goes black. The only way to recover is to boot in safe mode and roll the driver back. I did a clean install of windows 10 and even used DDU to remove the drivers and attempt to reinstall. Any help would be appreciated. I'm  using an R9 280X.

• Re: 17.5.1 black screen
          thermalpaste

Had the same issues after reinstalling OS (Creators Update) 2 weeks ago. Don't know how to fix this but the problem disappeared. I tried all Crimson Relive drivers from 16.12-17.5.1. You can roll back to 16.11.5 or try 17.3.3, 17.4.2. Now every drivers works again except CF & Eyefinity and sometimes blackscreen after booting, but thats another story.

firestyle

I have this exact problem. I rolled back to 16.2 which worked, and the software settings version was old.  I rolled forward to 17.2.1 and it works.  I tried 17.4.4 again and it goes black screen in the middle of the update (which is typical during all installs, but it usually comes back).  However, the problem I am experiencing on 17.2.1 is extremely reduced framerates. I previously would play Overwatch on Epic graphics with 60 consistent framerates (capped at 62) - now I am luck to hit 20, so clearly there is an issue.

Describe your system:

• AMD Graphics Card - Dual AMD R9 390X CrossfireX
              • Desktop
              • Windows 10 64bit
              • Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 17.2.1
              • Display Devices - ACER UHD 3840x2160 @60Hz Displayport
              • Motherboard - MSI Z170A Gaming
              • CPU/APU - Intel I7-6700k @4.00 GHz
              • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage - Corsair 1000W
              • RAM - 24GB
                amdmatt

Please wait for our next driver and perform a clean install using DDU and check to see if the issue is resolved.

eightgear

Just want to mention I am also suffering black screens when loading Windows 10 and I can´t get any driver installed at all.

Previously I was able to install drivers on Windows 7, but then Windows wouldn´t start. Now, using W10, I´m getting a black screen even DURING the driver installation process. See also this thread: Black screen, windows won't load (UPDATE: common 270X problem?)