7 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2017 10:18 AM by ray_m

AMD Ryzen will only stay in Balanced power plan

mistered

I have tried all the power plans: Balanced, High Performance, and AMD Ryzen Balanced but it will only stay in Balanced. If I put it in High Performance or AMD Ryzen Balanced within a day it will by itself change to Balanced. Can anyone think of a reason why this happens?

Ryzen 1700X @3.8GHz

ASUS Prime X370-Pro

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

• Re: AMD Ryzen will only stay in Balanced power plan
          ray_m

Can you provide more information about your system, including power supply, memory, etc ?

gigabytes

I have same setup and have no issues with windows power management. You can try setting bios to default, setting your plan and see if that makes a difference. I assume you are not having issues with your system crashing? In my Ryzen overclocking travels I have had some weird crashes that have changed my power plan settings. Not just a full on crash that reboots the PC but thread crashes that just kill that one core.

Elmor who works with Asus has posted a utility called ZenStates, this allows you to create custom P-States which basically override/work with windows power management. You can get it here ROG Crosshair VI overclocking thread - Page 1115 if interested.

mistered

I now have ASUS AI Suite 3 starting with Windows. Now the Power Plan bounces between Balanced and Power Saver for reasons I do not quite understand.

I did realize that I did do something that did make a difference. For a couple weeks I was running the 1700X @.3.8GHz. I started to get concerned when I stress tested it. After 30 minutes Tctl=100.6C. The CPU seemed OK since no throttling was taking place. Still I decided to go back to the default 3.4GHz to be safe.

ASUS AI Suite 3 has Fan Xpert 4 to calibrate the fans controlled by the motherboard headers. I realized I needed to run it again for the new CPU speed of 3.4GHz. Now that I have done this the fan profiles have the fans running at an even slower speed. I have Silent Mode set. With that set and the CPU < 50C the CPU fan will run at about 280RPM. Also below 50C the case fans will be powered down.

The strange behavior of the Power Options are of less concern now that I have found a new problem. Ever since I built the system I had been letting the system go into Sleep mode after a specified length of time. Up to recently there was no problem coming out of Sleep mode. If I manually force Sleep mode the system wakes up normally. If Sleep mode is triggered by the default timeout then there is a good chance that computer will not come out of Sleep mode. If this happens then the only thing I can do is power down the computer by holding down the power button. After I restart the computer and look at system events I see the following:

Level: Critical  | Source: Kernel-Power

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

I have no idea what is causing this. Is it some misbehaving software or hardware? I wish I knew.

BTW, I tried the Windows Trouble-Shooter. It was no help.

Update: What may have happened is that I unknowingly activated ASUS EPU. This is what may have been messing with the Power Plan. I have disabled this now. The last time my computer timed out and went to sleep on its own it came out of sleep like it should. I'll have to keep an eye on things for a while to see if the problem returns. Also, Power Plan is back to Balanced. Before it always wanted to set itself to Power Saver. I'll keep an eye on this also.

For reference let me describe the computer in the good sleep state and the bad one:

Good sleep state: computer totally silent. Power light flashing. Pressing keyboard key, pressing mouse button, or moving mouse wakes up computer.

Bad sleep state: fans found running. Power light steady on. Computer will not wake up. Have to hold power button to shut down computer.

I am adding this detail in case someone else in the future has the same problem.

2 of 2 people found this helpful