• Windows 10 64bit
      • Driver version installed
        • Radeon Software Crimson (ReLive?) 17.4.4
      • Display Devices
        • BenQ GW2255
      • Motherboard
        • Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P
      • CPU/APU
        • OctalCore AMD FX-8300, 4220 MHz (21 x 201)
      • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
        • Thermaltake Hamburg 530w
      • RAM
        • 16352 MB  (DDR3 SDRAM)

Describe your issue:

• The fan of the video card is not spinning continuously, it only starts to spin when the temperature reaches critical levels. However this is not directly tied to temperature alone, I have downloaded a program from a Sapphire support site called: Sapphire TRIXX, with this I can set the fan to automatic, fixed, or custom.I played with the fan speed controller and noticed, that the fan always turns on when I slide the setting to 77% or past it (up to 100%).

If I set it to 77% or higher, I am able to slowly decrease the speed incrementally (by moving only 1% at a time), but it stops altogether at 67%.

If I just jump from 77% to 67% it stops suddenly, so it only works if I do this incrementally.

However under 77% it never spins automatically, not even when the system tells me (from TRIXX, Aida64 or Crimson) that it is currently running on 20% or 40%.

So somehow the system thinks that my fan runs on those speeds, when actually it turns on much later, at higher speeds.

This is a problem because I am worried that in the long run this will kill or burn the graphics card.

Also it is a bit annoying because when it turns on it is really loud.

I would like to achieve a stable, constant 20% or 40% for fan speed, not 0% what I currently have.

Thanks for any answers.

• Re: Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition fan speed regulation inconsistent
          kingfish
          • AMD Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition
          • AMD Radeon R7 200 Series

What does this mean? Crossfire? Your title doesn't say crossfire.

• Re: Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition fan speed regulation inconsistent
            hairyslug

I made an account just to reply to this. It is the most annoying issue I've ever had and nothing fixed it. In the first one year of having this card, it really worked just fine. When the driver interface told me it was spinning at 40%, it was actually spinning at 40%. Well, not anymore since like two years ago. Just like pablop, my fan speed is either 0% or 100%. No matter what settings I choose in AMD's Driver Setting menu, no matter what I settings I mess with in fan controlling programs such as MSI afterburner or SpeedFan. Believe me, I tried all the fan/temp settings I found. No matter what driver version I have, it's the same. It only spins when it's like above 80% fan speed, or 80C (by default).

First I thought it was a fan issue, so I went and actually bought out a new AMD 7770 GHZ edition video card. Not new from the store, but used for a few months by someone else. Anyway, the thing is, I bought a new card exactly like mine. Same issue. No matter what I do, the card only spins at 100%. Then I actually bought a brand new power supply which was way better than the previous one. A 600W power supply rated at 85% efficiency for my modest Radeon HD 7700, AMD FX-8350, 970DE3/U3S3 build. It's really enough, and it's better than the previous power supply which actually had the card running fine for a year.  Well, not even a second power supply works. It's the same, it only spins at 100% and it's driving me crazy. I can barely play new games because it sounds like a vacuum (the card's clean), because of this fan control issue.

What can I even do now?  I don't have a warranty anymore. I switched the graphic cards, I switched the power supplies. I reinstalled my os (Win 7 64bit). I cleaned the graphics card.The card and my PC works really good in games and all of that, it's just that the card, no matter what I do, only spins at 0% or 100%. It's sad to see this issue was still not fixed, I searched for solutions for at least a year.