3 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2017 10:14 AM by john007

Keep getting TDR BSODs Nothing is working.

monkeymii

Hi,

I've had this AMD R9 390x for around a year now and ever since I've got it I've been getting BSODs randomly while doing random tasks. It can be watching a video on the web, opening a program, playing a game. The screen will freeze, go black and half of the time blue screen but the other half of the time I get a notification from the task bar saying something along the lines of 'Display driver stopped responding and has recovered - Display driver AMD driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered'. I've come to learn that this is a TDR Failure - Error 116/7 and searching around the web I see a lot of people have the same issue and it seems to have something to do with atikmpag.sys and atikmdag.sys. I've only had atikmpag.sys pop up in my errors so far and have tried every fix I've come across to no avail.

I have followed the suggestion of changing the TDR delay in the registry to 8 instead of 2

I have reinstalled the drivers on multiple occasions with multiple versions

I have moved the .sy_ file onto desktop, expanded with cmd and replaced the driver with the new one.

I have run VRAM tests and can assume that that side of things is okay

I'm finding lots of other posts from people having the same issue and getting linked the same old posts but when they say it's not working, the threads seem to just die without a resolution.

I've lived with this for a year or slightly more now with this happening on every bootup. Did I and the numerous other people who seem to be reporting the same problem waste their money on this product?

Honestly it's been so long now, I've tried everything I can find online, people seem to give up after a few attempts of helping and not sure what to do. I don't have the money to just drop on a new card and being told nothing was wrong with the card I couldn't get the money back the short time after I initially bought it.

But still nothing. I'm hoping someone can point out why my issue is any different from the others who've posted online.

Thanks

My system specs -

OS

- Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

CPU

- Intel Core i5 4690K

Motherboard

- Asus Z97-K

Memory

- 2x4GB

Graphics Card

- AMD Sapphire r9 390x tri-x

Hard Drives

- Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB

- 1TB HDD

WHOCRASHED reports -

On Thu 06/04/2017 20:13:50 your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\040617-20982-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown ()

Bugcheck code: 0x0 (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)

Error: CUSTOM_ERROR

A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.

Google query: CUSTOM_ERROR

On Thu 23/02/2017 17:20:21 your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\022317-10764-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (0xFFFFF880043113B4)

Bugcheck code: 0x117 (0xFFFFFA8007A794E0, 0xFFFFF880043113B4, 0x0, 0x0)

Error: VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED

file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmpag.sys

product: AMD driver

company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

description: AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver

Bug check description: This indicates that the display driver failed to respond in a timely fashion.

A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).

Google query: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED

On Tue 20/12/2016 06:04:32 your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\122016-19063-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (atikmpag+0xF0DC)

Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA800E7C64E0, 0xFFFFF88003E330DC, 0x0, 0x2)

Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.

A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).

Google query: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

On Sun 20/11/2016 04:43:32 your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\112016-9438-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (atikmpag+0xF0DC)

Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA800CD68010, 0xFFFFF88003EDD0DC, 0x0, 0x2)

Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.

On Thu 20/10/2016 18:36:28 your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\102016-8564-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (atikmpag+0xED90)

Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA800AF2C010, 0xFFFFF88003EC3D90, 0x0, 0x2)