2 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2017 1:10 AM by kingfish

Please help troubleshoot this bewildering problem of mine

crimsondynamics

Hi there,

I am trying to figure out what is going on with my current setup, but first the original system settings:

Mainboard: AsRock P67 Extreme 4

CPU: Intel i5 2500K (Sandy Bridge)

RAM: G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-1600 (4x4GB)

PSU: SilverStone Strider Series ST85F-P 850W (80 Silver)

HDD0: Samsung 840 EVO 250G SSD

HDD1: Seagate Momentus XT 500GB

Drivers: All updated to the latest versions

Now here's the deal: I built this system in 2011, and at the time it was equipped with two Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 in crossfire, plus a Gigabyte Nvidia GT 440 for PhysX processing duties. Everything is run at stock settings (no overclock).

Fast forward six years, and the main rendering 6950 finally gave up, so I did some research and decided on two XFX RX 570 GPUs to replace the 6950s.

Now from my research the RX570s should be a smidgen more power efficient than the 6950s during gaming (160w vs 168w) so I figured it was a good fit for my current build.

Sure enough, in the vast majority of games I tested - Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Crysis, Metro 2033, and Battlefield 3, among others, everything works fine.

The problem arises when I try to run Counterstrike: Global Offensive in crossfire. With crossfire disabled, it runs without a hitch. With it enabled, however, the game constantly stutters, flashes between the game and the desktop, the audio stutters, and more often than not, the game will simply crash, along with Windows, leaving me with a blank screen with no other option than to hit the reset button on my computer.

When I go to Event Viewer, it states the following:

Event Type: Critical

Event ID: 41

Source: Kernel-Power

From my Googling, the reason most commonly associated with this error is power failure from the PSU. Now I don't get why the PSU could handle the game fine before with more power-hungry cards but not be able to with slightly less power-hungry cards. What's more, all the games, including Crysis and Battlefield 3, run fine in crossfire, and they are inarguably more resource-demanding than Counterstrike: Global Offensive, which is the electric toaster of games as far as demanding system requirements go.

So what gives? Is this a known problem? Is there a fix, and if so, what is it? Is it due to specific settings in the Crimson drivers? Is it a faulty card? Or am I condemned to buy a new PSU?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

By the way, attached are my DXDiags, both from the previous and from the new configuration, if that can be of any help.