3 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2017 6:19 AM by angryuser1

Wraith Spire Noise at low RPM 

mickey_313

When I am running my wraith spire at low RPM's, it is making a high pitch sound. When I turn up the RPM, at around 80-90%, the noise goes away. Have any others experienced this? Also, the reason why I am asking, is because I am stress testing my AMD Ryzen 1600, and the temperature readings are off between Ryzen Master (high reading, close to 78C degrees, with HWINFO telling me around 58C degrees) How can I know if I have the right readings? I have an Asrock b350m Pro4 motherboard with latest bios.

• Re: Wraith Spire Noise at low RPM 
          angryuser1

when it's spinning at low speeds, touch it gently at the center to stop it. Be careful when you do it. Does the sound stop? Because if it continues, it's not the cooler, but motherboard.

As for the temps - touching the heatsink perhaps? Or an external thermometer. Ryzens have some kind of offset for temps, but it was never explained thoroughly enough.

mickey_313

Hi Angryuser1 - Thank you so much for your reply.

I will definitely try and see if it could be the motherboard or the cooler. It sounds strange if the motherboard should be making the noise, if the noise will vary depending on the speed of the cooler, but will need to try.

I unfortunately do not have an external thermometer that could measure something like that, but I will attempt to purchase some Arctic Silver and apply some on the cooler and ensure that it is properly attached. Could be it is a bit off, thus not applying the correct connection to the CPU?

My only issue is the difference between Ryzen Master readings and some of the other software. HWinfo reports, from the motherboard, that the CPU temperature is about 20-25 degrees C lower than the direct CPU reading. I am just wondering which one to trust, so I don't ruin the cpu when stress-loading it.

angryuser1

I'd expect high pitch sound to be a coil whine and not something spinning fan is doing, and coil whine is also related to system load (which affects fan speed).

Coil whine can happen to any component, tough mostly to GPU or motherboards, because of power load involved. Sometimes it qualifies for an RMA, sometimes the PSU used is at fault (or precisely, PSU and component combination)