8 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2017 11:31 AM by squareunit

Black screen crash & buzzing audio

squareunit

Yo,

Since 6-8 months, I've been having black screen crashed with buzzing audio. Never during games, always during streaming or web browsing. It also crashes when I play around with the "video profiles"

in AMD catalyst.

I've already troubleshooted my problem a lot, which brings me to the last place where I could get some help, here.

I've already red and went through the : Troubleshooting Common AMD Graphics Driver Installation Problems page

and nothing new came up that I had not tried before.

Here are my specs :

GPU - PowerColor PCS+ Radeon R9 290 DirectX 11.2 AXR9 290 4GBD5-PPDHE 4GB 512-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP

Computer - Homemade desktop

System - Windows 10 64bit

Drivers - 17.10.1731-170424a2-313603E-CrimsonReLive

Display Device - LG 32lb5600-UZ 1920 × 947 50-60Hz HDMI adapter into GPU

MoBo - ASRock H97 Pro4 ATX Motherboard - Socket LGA 1150 - Intel H97 Chipset - SATA 6Gb/s - 1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 - USB 3.0 - HDMI - D-Sub - DVI-D - ELNA Audio Caps - Intel Gigabit LAN (H97 Pro4)

CPU - Intel Core i5 i5-4460 Quad-core (4 Core) 3.20 GHz Processor

Power Supply Unit - EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1 120-G1-0650-XR 80+ GOLD 650W Fully Modular

Ram - 8 GB

Lastly, here is the thread with my complete problem and troubleshooting from the start to here : Black screen crash with buzzing audio - Windows 10

Also, I finally managed, by luck, to generate a crash log file:

On Mon 5/1/2017 4:14:37 PM your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown (0xFFFFD908CC8A8800)

Bugcheck code: 0xEA (0xFFFFD908CC8A8800, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)

Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

Bug check description: This indicates that a thread in a device driver is endlessly spinning.

This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.

Google query: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

Since everything is up to date, non corrupted and the crash log points toward drivers incompatibility, I'm currently trying to sort it out without causing more problem with my computer.

I'm currently trying to backpedal do an older driver package, but maybe you guys have a solution that I haven't tried yet to fix my problem.

If you have any help to offer it would be seriously appreciated, I'm going to soon throw my GPU of a bridge...

• Re: Black screen crash & buzzing audio
          squareunit

Can anyone offer some help? I tried installing older drivers and went all back to 16.3 optional crimson relive version but IT STILL CRASHING!!! All the time!

I bought my GPU 18 months ago, worked fine for 6-7 months and then started crashing non stop. Considering I paid 350$ for my GPU, I consider this purchase to be of terrible value. Powercolor is not answering back the emails I sent them, they will never get any purchase from me again. I would like very much to avoid doing this with AMD products altogether. All I want is to use my ******** computer.

I've been trouble shooting this for MONTHS. This is the last place I will seek for help, especially since the crash log (see first post) points toward drivers problem related to AMD product.

goodplay

May be card gone bad, RMA time ?

But if you want to try a true diagnosis tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  squareunit

Does BSOD include Black screen of death? Also, if the card has gone bad, the only way to know it for sure is to pay from 60$ to a 100$. If you have a busted transistor or connection, it can be repaired. But, if it's anything else, I just paid a 100$ to toss my card to trash and I still have to buy a new one. I contacted various professionals in computer repair and all agreed on one thing, it's useful to test your card, but useless to try to know why as it's almost never possible to repair it for less than the price of a new one.

I'll try that forum, ty for the link.

kingfish

Did you buy the card new or used? Have you tied to overclock it (please give the true answer)? Does this happen with older/previous drivers?

squareunit

Card bought on the 05/30/2015. I never overclocked, as this card is not made to support it and my stock cooling system would be unable to withstand it either. Actually, I don't even know how to overclock my computer. As for drivers, I'm currently going back as far as possible until it does not support windows 10 anymore, I can still try a couple other versions before everything is ruled out, but I'm already pretty much there.

Also, how can I interpret correctly my crash log? This should help me a lot to pinpoint the problem, no? Nobody said anything about it so far.

On Mon 5/1/2017 4:14:37 PM your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown (0xFFFFD908CC8A8800)

Bugcheck code: 0xEA (0xFFFFD908CC8A8800, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)

Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

Bug check description: This indicates that a thread in a device driver is endlessly spinning.

This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.

Google query: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

Ty for taking the time to help me out.