1 Reply Latest reply on May 4, 2017 8:32 AM by amdmatt

Graphics card detected, But not working

jonathan.parke

Hello,

I am in quite a pickle regarding my graphics card. I bought my laptop over 13 months ago. Its specs are as follows:

Storage

1TB HDD

Display Adapters

AMD Radeon (TM) R5 M335      <-- This is 1GB

AMD Radeon (TM) R5 Graphics <-- This is 2GB

APU

Quad Core APU A8 7410

The problem:

The first card with the 1GB capacity appears to be the primary card and the second one appears to be the one THAT SHOULD WORK AS A GRAPHICS CARD.

Yes that should, but seems like it doesn't. I clean installed the Radeon drivers that come with the Crimson Live software and I could even use the AMD Radeon settings until now.

I thought that something was wrong when the game GTA could not recognize my 2GB card and only recognized the 1GB card. I googled it and thought, OK, maybe something is wrong with the game. Next I started After effects and premiere pro and saw the same. They can't even detect the 2GB card. This means that since I purchased my laptop, I was not using my 2GB card. I didn't know until I disabled my 1GB card today in device manager and then rebooted my Laptop. Now when I try to access Radeon settings, It says "No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly. Please install the AMD driver appropriate for your AMD hardware". Now something is definitely wrong. I just did a clean install today. I tried to see if my 2GB card was working and what I get is that ? Next I went to device manager and right clicked on my 2GB card and clicked on Update driver. It seems to have updated BUT while it was updating, it re-enabled the 1GB card and I STILL CANNOT access the Radeon settings.

Can somebody help me getting my 2GB card back running. Also since GPU-Z tells me that my cards support Crossfire, and it seems to be disabled, If you could help me with that as well.

Thanks.

Jon

• Re: Graphics card detected, But not working
          amdmatt

Do you have an AMD CrossFire on/off toggle under Radeon Settings > Gaming > Global Settings? If you don't then your GPUs do not support Dual Graphics/CrossFire, ignore what GPU-Z is telling you.

The display on your laptop is wired to your integrated GPU, so GTA V will never be able to detect the discrete GPU with more memory. That said, if you configure your Switchable Graphics Application Settings correctly as per the linked document below, then GTA will use the 2GB GPU and you can verify this using the Switchable Graphics Application Monitor. How to Configure Laptop Switchable Graphics

When all this is said and done though, your laptop specifications are well below the minimum requirements to play GTA V, so your gaming experience may not be optimal.