1 Reply Latest reply on May 3, 2017 7:20 AM by amdmatt

A8 APU and R7 M265 on linux

robdoe

Hey. So I have an ACER E5-551G laptop with an A8-7100 APU (R5 integrated graphics) and an R7 M265 dedicated graphics card. I've been struggling with this for a month or so now, I have searched far and wide for an answer and still came to no conclusion. Hopefully, someone here will be able to make sense of this mess.

Now FGLRX is not supported on ubuntu 16.04 - hence when I boot into an ubuntu 16.04 installation my PC runs with the radeon open source drivers. When I try to install the AMDGPU-PRO drivers, available via the detect tool with this - AMDGPU-PRO Driver for Linux Release Notes as a result, after installation my ubuntu installation just freezes on boot. I can access the login screen via recovery, but i cannot use a desktop environment (I'm limited to terminal commands basically).

Basically, I think that my laptop is using my R5 integrated graphics for logging in, which the AMDGPU-PRO driver does not offer support for. After further investigation, it seems that the "radeon" driver is compatible with my APU, whilst the "amdgpu" (which is not present in the installation on the 16.04) and the hybrid driver "amdgpu-pro" is only compatible with my dedicated GPU. So I can only use the APU on a 16.04 installation.

I decided to run on a 14.04 variation for the moment (more exactly, Mint Qiana 17.2), but the FGLRX performance is not amazing. It struggles with games that it should be OK with, and it makes my desktop environment laggy with constant tearing (this doesn't happen with the xorg-video-ati driver).

Any solution to get A8 APU with R5 iGPU and R7 m265 dGPU working together on an 16.04 installation?

Thank you for your attention, and sorry for the length of the text.