5 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2017 3:56 PM by frankie158

R5 1600, no boot/post.

frankie158

I just received my R5 1600, Corsair 2400mhz DDR4 2x8, and MSI tomahawk B350 motherboard in the mail yesterday. After putting everything together, I can't get a post. Just a black screen, mouse and keyboard not lit up, while GPU, CPU, System fans, Leds are all running. I've tested different ram and used the correct slot, re-seated the CPU 3 times, power supply works, cleared cmos, and unplugged everything you could imagine.

The motherboard has a 'debug' led indicator for CPU, Ram, VGA, and GPU. If a light is on, it means something's wrong with the corresponding item. The CPU light is on meaning something must be wrong with the CPU. It says if it's on, it means it either 1. doesn't recognize it, or 2. the cpu is failing (it doesn't specify which one). It gives the same solid light while the CPU is installed, and if it isn't. No different between the indicators there. Anyways, I can't figure out what to do, but I've waited forever saving up for all these things, and now that I've got them, I can't do anything with them. My idea was the motherboard Bios might be too early of a version. The motherboard has a label on it that says V1.0, meaning it's the one that went on sale along the Ryzen 7 CPUs, running the very first BIOS every created for Ryzen cpus. I don't know if it would cause this issue, but it's my guess.

And yes, I've reached out to MSI, but I got the most bull*hit support from them. The guy who couldn't speak proper English, told me "did  u check the  pin on the  board". I told him the pins are on the CPU because it's an AM4 board (like I already explained), but again he told me "well check  the pin". I just agreed and said they're fine to move things along, and he said 'did you  update bios", but I also explained before hand I couldn't even get to bios since the CPU isn't being recognized. I told him that again and he just stopped replying. MSI is being awful, so now I'm reaching out to the AMD forums. What does it sound like to you? Do you feel the BIOS might be too early, or do you think the CPU doesn't work (which is extremely rare). I called my local computer stores, they don't carry Ryzen 7 cpus, so nobody can update my board for me. What else am I able to do?

• Re: R5 1600, no boot/post.
          spinalfailed

The BIOS doesn't prevent the CPU from being recognized. The majority of updates have addressed RAM issues.  Not all RAM is supported. Currently Ryzen is picky about what it uses.  I may have overlooked it though i don't think i did but did you try only a single stick of RAM?  If not disconnect the power, remove the CMOS battery for at least 2 minutes.  Jumper the power on terminals to make sure it clears any possible residual capacitor stored power (this part is more like a hail Mary type of thing) use a single stick of RAM in slot A1(i think that's how it's labeled). Put the battery back in and try to boot.

frankie158

Yea, I said in my post I've tried different sticks of ram, same issue. I've also cleared CMOS using the battery, and jumper method. Neither has worked. And yes I've also used the correct ram socket. Nothing is booting the CPU, and I'm now considering giving up on AMD straight away, and jumping into the i5 lineup. Since at least when I receive my parts, they'll work together out of the box. I'm now delayed at least 2 weeks worth of RMAs before I can get anything going.

spinalfailed

I understand your frustrations but things happen. Just because it's AMD doesn't mean it's inferior to Intel.  It's an electronic component. Unfortunately things break regardless of which platform it is. Shipping can be ******* delicate components.  You have a bad motherboard, RMA it and you should be good to go.  Don't give up on a new platform just because there are still some bugs. Intel had had as many issues with their new platform releases in the past so it is far from being just an AMD thing.

frankie158

Yea that's true, I year ya. Was just incredibly frustrating. I just dropped off the motherboard at the post office though, I'll get a refund, and go with a different brand from a different seller and hope it all works out. Hoping it's the motherboard rather then the CPU, but if the issue persists, I'll give it another shot by exchanging the CPU for the same model. 12 threads, and still 15$ cheaper then an i5, so I really hope I don't get pushed down that road due to early adopter problems.

Thanks for the help.

bearcat22

You can only work with what you have. Right now you have an indicator light saying there's a cpu problem. RMA it. A quick Google search shows there's other people having the exact same problem with the Ryzen. You've done enough troubleshooting.