21 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2017 8:45 AM by markus7912

Ryzen 1700 at 94c under full load

stephenw

So, according to Ryzen Master and MSI Command Centre, my CPU is running at 94c when under full load. And between 50 and 60 when idle. Is this right? Doesn't seem so. I'm sure I read somewhere that Ryzen shouldn't be going over 75c as it will shutdown?

I'm on the MSI B350 Tomahawk Motherboard with BIOS 1.3, and I've recently installed the new AMD Chipset drivers, 17.10 with the Ryzen power mode, however, it was runnign at 94c before installing the new drivers. I'm running the Wraith cooler that came with the CPU.

Anybody know if I'm getting false readings? Or if ym CPU is about to explode?

Thanks in advance.

• Re: Ryzen 1700 at 94c under full load
          mistered

Ryzen 1700, Freq: 3000 MHz, Turbo: 3700 MHz

Idle: 3200 MHz, Load: 2620 MHz

The Ryzen is supposed to throttle back you speed at 95C. It looks like it is doing so.

Are you overclocking your CPU? At idle it is 3200. MHz If so then you should set it back to default settings to see if that helps with temperatures.

Also, if you are overclocking and are want to lower the temperatures you will need a better CPU cooler.

Another factor is case airflow. No matter what CPU cooler you have you still need to effectively get rid of the heat buildup in the case.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              stephenw

Hello,

I haven't overclocked the chip, it's doing it everything by itself. Everything is on default settings.

I did give my fans a clean today, as the airflow wasn't as good as it could have been, and it seems to be running at a high frequency, while keeping the temperature just below 95. I'll attach a new screenshot.

I just thought maximum was 75 degrees, but the CPU seems to be happy adjusting the frequency enough to keep it less than 95, going between 2.8 and 2.3GHZ, so I'll just leave it.

Thanks.

Ryzen 1700 Load After Clean.PNG

jup_kozlowski

Hi,

did you removed the stocked Thermal Compounds on the Wraith cooler and used your own (better quality) from Arctic, Corsair, Alpenföhn, etc.?

Because this stocked Thermal Compounds is mostly not the best one. And you don´t know how old this stuff is.

stephenw

I didn't think to clean off the thermal paste that comes with it. Do you think I should get rid of it?

I've got a clenaing set called ArctiClean which can remove it. And some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste.

Or can you recommend anything better?

Thanks.

jup_kozlowski

I always remove the stocked Thermal Compounds or  use another one. Once apone a time, I´ve bought a Alpenföhn (Gotthard). The Th. Comp. wich was by the cooler ink., was totaly dry and out of buisnes. You don´t know the date of manufacture of the cooler.  :-)

Arctic Silver 5 is ok. Anything better?...sure but this is (imo) a matter of taste. But everything is better the the stocked therm. comp. . I prefer "Schneekanone" from Alpenföhn. I got the best temps. with this therm. comp. .

To remove the old comp., I always use cleaning petrol. Thats enough. Don´t pay too much for expensive cleaning kit´s.

But, BTW...just use another cooler...I got a 1700x and a cooler from Arctic (Freezer extreme). Not the best one, I know. But I will wait till the market brings better cooler for AM4 Boards. My highest Temp. is 50° -  60° with prime95 after 30min. (without 20° offset). And the cooler is super quiet. I never hear this one. I payed 25€, for the cooler.

IMG-20170308-WA0002.jpeg

stephenw

Bloody hell, that thing is huge! Not even sure if it will fit in my case.

Arctic Silver is all I have. Can you recommend another one? I was happy sticking to the stock cooler at first, but 95c worries me, so maybe I will splash out for another one and some really good thermal paste.

Thanks

jup_kozlowski

Wich case you have? Just buy a good therm. comp. with a "better" coller. The boxed cooler are always a bit $hity

It fits perfect in my Phantom 410 from NZXT.

20170501_204914.jpg

stephenw

I have a corsair Carbide R200. By the way. I got 2 120MM fans on the side bringing air in, and one 120MM fan at the top and one at the back blowing it out.

I'm sure my old FX-8350 used to sit at 800MHZ when idle, but the Ryzen doesn't, it stays at 3200MHZ.

On this link, is this the freezer that you have? ARCTIC Freezer Xtreme Rev. 2 - 160 Watts Twin-Tower Heatsink CPU Cooler - Intel & AMD - 120mm PWM Fan - 4 Double-Sided H…

Also, note where it says "Frequently bought together" those other 2 items are the exact ones that I have.

200R-front.jpg

jup_kozlowski

Yes, I got the Rev.2 Model of the Freezer. But the stickers are blue/ white not black & white like on Amazon....strange. But your Corsair Case should fine withe the Freezer. The rev.1 Model don´t fit on AM4 Boards (that´s what I know).

The 3.2 Ghz all the time is a bit strange too. What are your power settings in windows? High performence or balanced?

I use balanced in Windows and I set my Bios power management to "normal". If I set it to "extreme" in Bios, the 1700x would rund all the time with 3.7 Ghz. With my settings (Bios and Win) the 1700x going down on 2,2 Ghz on Idle and up to 3,7 Ghz on full trothle (8 Cores / on 2 Cores the CPU goes on 3,9Ghz).

BTW...whats your SPD? And wich RAM you´re using? If I set my RAM to 3000mhz, my Ryzen burn like hell. So I set it to 2400mhz, it´s way enough for my need.

Ya know, Ryzen is 2 months out on the market. I think we will get many Bios Updates, till a perfer running CPU with full SPD of 3200mhz (or above).

In 2010 I bought a Phenom II X4 955. My old Asus Board didn´t support this CPU on release, but I´ve bought it (themselves to blame). It took 6 f***** weeks tll I get all the 4 cores running with many Bios Updates. Jesus....that´s was not funny. But after this the CPU runs over 7 Years without any trouble. :-)

So stay frosty for new Bios Updates for a better stability or temps. And everything will be fine.

stephenw

Thanks for mentioning the power plan. I was using High Performance, I then installed the new 17.10 chipset drivers with the Ryzen power plan, so I started using that.

I've just looked now, and it has set itself back to High Performance. So I decided to change the power plan and watch Ryzen Master, with High Performance and Ryzen Plan, it will stay at 3.2Ghz the entire time. I set it to balanced and it now sits at about 1.5-1.7gig when idle. Cool

For the RAM I'm using Corsair Vengeance LPX, running at 2666Mhz(For some reason the Motherboard thinks its funny to run it at 2667)

I've just ran the CPU at full load, and it did take longer to creep up to 94c than it used to, but it still gets there.

What thermal paste do you use with your cooler?

Thanks.

mistered

I forgot. The Ryzen CPUs will automatically run at a speed higher than the base if it thinks it is safe to do so. In your case it operates at 3200 MHz instead of the default base of 3000 MHz.

I think the maximum temperature is 95C. That would explain why your CPU speed is throttling back when it gets close to that temperature. Notice how it dropped from 3200 MHz to 2620 MHz while it was under load. To keep it from throttling you are going to have to lower the CPU temperature. It is definitely higher than it should be. I would expect an idle temperature closer to 30-35C.

I have a 1700X which I have overclocked to 3800MHz. Its idle temperature is 35-40C. I just ran Prime95 for 45 minutes. The max temperature during that time was 80C. High but still much less than the 95C maximum. The 1700X does not come with a CPU cooler so I had to buy one myself. I have a Corsair H60 which is not the best water cooler but is adequate for now.

I have an ASUS motherboard which has a utility to automatically overclocks the system. It started at 3850 MHz and stepped up by 25MHz. When it reached 4050 MHz the system crashed. I don't think it was a coincidence that the CPU temperature was just over 95C when that happened.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                      stephenw

Yes it's doing that, keeps changing the speed to make sure it won't go over 95c. Someone above suggested I change the thermal compound, so I might do that.

neosnow

stephenw  I think you may not install the cooler correctly ? And What's the room temperature ?

I got R5 1600 O.C to 3700 with  Enermax T40F-TB cooler in Corsair 200R Case , the same as yours.

After testing the stock cooler and T40F ,  max temp with stock cooler gives about 80c and T40F around 70c.

FYI.

stephenw

I've felt the cooler, and it seems to be on normally, but I did hae a bit of trouble getting it on, so maybe that has compromised the paste?

I've improved the idle speed and temp by changing the Windows power plan to balanced.

what thermal paste do you use with your cooler? I might get new cooler and paste at the weekend.

I don't know what the ambient temperature is, I don't have a thermometer in the room, perhaps I should get one. It is a bit warm, but not too much. Even with the windows in the room open it still seems to go as fast as it can while keeping below 94c.

Thanks.

jup_kozlowski

Nice!

63° is way better than 95° at 65W TDP.

About OC....

You can oc the CPU with the master tool, first.

Start with 25mhz steps. After every more of 25 mhz, make a benchmark with prime 95 or any other benchmark tool and look on your Temps. If it goes to hot or caused crashes, go down to the last known mhz clock. It can took very long to find a working OC set. It depends not only on your CPU cooler, how far you can go. Case, Airflow, GPU (TDW) and RAM are importent too. What I did in the past, was to oc the SPD (RAM) too, byside the CPU clock.

When you found a preffer oc setting, go into the bios and make it native. But first, reset the master tool to default clock(s).

I saw some 1700 on other forums that works with 3,9 mhz and boosted on 1 core with 4,1mhz. But this was made by watter cooling. With the boxed cooler, you maybe get 3,5 mhz or maybe 3,7 mhz.

And I think you know that oc "can" caused damage too your hardware in short -or long - term.

stephenw

Thanks for your advice    I decided not to overclock it for now. Even though it doesn't get over 70 degrees, that's under 100% load for an hour, I don't think I need it to be overclocked yet. If I do,. Probably best waiting till I get another cooler and paste to help out. But for now,  I'm more than happy with the 25c improvement. Thanks again.

markus7912

My 1700 run on 3.70 Ghz (all core) 1.25000V / 81 W TDP / With Spire Cooler and never goes up to 50C. If use NZXT Kraken X41 can run 3.90Ghz (all core) 1.39375V and never goes up to 59C. If you not overclocked more than 37 - 42C under Stress test is too much. BIOS is not working good enough now, Auto Voltage or Offset is not good maybe manuell working only good now.