4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2017 2:28 AM by mistered

1600X High Temps with Liquid Cooler

omally

I built a system for a friend over the weekend, and I'm having a problem with temps on the CPU.  I put a Ryzen 1600X onto an MSI Tomahawk B350 board and attached a CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240. The radiator is mounted to the front of a Phanteks Eclipse P400, with the 2x 120mm fans pulling air in.  I have a third 120mm fan mounted below the radiator, also pulling in.  There's a 120 at the back an 1 on top, both pushing air out.  I also have an XFX 480 card installed.  No 3.5" drives, so there's nothing obstructing air flow inside the case.

My problem is that the liquid cooler isn't keeping the CPU nearly as cold as I feel it should be.  And that brings up my first question - the MSI utility and HWMon both show the CPU idling at around 55-60 degrees, and getting up to 70-80 degrees under load.  After I picked my jaw up off the floor I downloaded the Ryzen Master program, and it shows temps 15-20 degrees less, with the CPU idling around 40-45 and peaking at 55-65.  So which is right? I read that the Ryzen 1700 chips can advertise temps 20 degrees higher than they actually are - is this happening with Ryzen 5, too?  Should the Ryzen Master temps be the only ones I'm concerned with?

And that brings me to my core issue. Even if we go with the Ryzen Master temps, 40-45 degrees seems too high for a liquid cooler. I've already reseated it with fresh thermal paste to no real effect, and I've tried running it with the fans at 100%, also with no real change.  I've run it with the case open, and with a desk fan blowing at high directly onto the CPU and GPU, again with no real drop in temps.  Should I just resign myself to these temps, or is there something else I can do?  Thanks in advance!

• Re: 1600X High Temps with Liquid Cooler
          mistered

According to the "AMD Ryzen Community Update #3":

"Ryzen Master (v1.0.1) now reports junction temperature, rather than tCTL, by automatically removing the tCTL offset on the AMD Ryzen 1800X, 1700X, and 1600X processors."

That shows that the 1600X had the same 20C offset as the 1700X and the 1800X.

HWInfo64 shows both temperatures as CPU (Tctl) and CPU (Tdie). CPU (Tctl) is 20C higher than CPU (Tdie).

Ryzen Master (1.0.0) shows the same temperature as CPU (Tctl).

Ryzen Master (1.0.1) shows the same temperature as CPU (Tdie).

My 1700X is cooled by a Corsair H60. Its idle temperature according to Ryzen Master is 35-40C.

No two setups are the same. You're temps are consistent with the expected temps for your system.

BTW, I was alarmed at first because I was used to the temps for my other computer which has a AMD FX8350. I then remembered that the last generation AMD CPUs greatly under-reported the CPU idle temperature. The idle temperature reported with the AMD FX8350 was about 20C. The actual idle temperature for it was probably a lot higher.

omally

Thanks mistered, that's good info.  I suspected the temperature offset was the culprit, but I could only find info on the Ryzen 7 chips.  I didn't know that FX chips tend to under-report, though - I'm still running an FX 8350 myself, so that's interesting to know.

One more question - I've seen lots of different numbers regarding the max safe temp, with numbers ranging from 85 to 120c. Has AMD published an official number anywhere?

mikeyc38

Thanks misterd and omally for posting this. I've just completed a Ryzen 5 1600X (not overclocked) build on an asus Prime X370 pro board and using a Corsair H60 cooler (in the roof of my case, drawing in cool air), 2 x 120 front fans and 1 x 120 rear fan and am getting the same temp range when idling. I contacted asus and was told that the 1600X does not have the temperature offset. So I will download the latest Ryzen Master and see what it gives. I was expecting temps around 30-35C with the H60

mistered

In the blog article "AMD Ryzen Community Update #3" it stated: "Ryzen Master now reports junction temperature, rather than tCTL, by automatically removing the tCTL offset on the AMD Ryzen 1800X, 1700X, and 1600X processors."

AMD Gaming blogs

I was surprised to see that you mounted the H60 on the roof of your case. I moved my 140mm rear fan to the top and mounted the H60 on the rear of my case.