1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 26, 2017 7:32 AM by amdmatt

Core/Memory Clocks keep resetting. (R9 290)

zejohnhighway

Hello, this is my first post here. I will describe everything that happened before the problem occurred.

So, my GPU is a Powercolor PCS+ R9 290 (4GB). I yesterday updated MSI Afterburner to the latest version. My core/memory clocks were these:

Core: 947Mhz

Memory: 1250Mhz

I then updated to the latest GPU drivers. (17.4.3). I restarted my PC and I opened up a game (Specifically S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat) and a few minutes later it froze and I got a bluescreen.

When I restarted I noticed that my profiles in MSI Afterburner had changed. Core clock was set to 1040Mhz and Memory to 1350Mhz. (These are the default clocks that come with the Powercolor PCS+ version. I set them to the default R9 290 reference clocks myself back in 2014 when I got the GPU though).  I tried resetting them in any way possible but they kept changing back to the same number. I checked HWInfo64 to see if the numbers were just a bug but even there, it was the same.

So I tried using the Radeon Wattman to change the speeds. I set the states to 947 for the Core clock and 1250 for the Memory. I hit apply, core clock resets to 1040 but memory stays to 1250.

I have also noticed that my memory clock drops from 1250 to 150 randomly. It's not stable.

I have no idea what's wrong. There is no way this could be damage caused by high temperatures as I always make sure it never goes above 80c even in the hottest summer days.

Anyone could please provide some help?