AnsweredAssumed Answered

RX480 Black Screen Crash atikmpag.sys

Question asked by cookie on Apr 23, 2017
Latest reply on Jul 11, 2017 by urejt

I have recently built a new gaming PC and after a lengthy and frustrating process of getting to where I am now (the joys of brand new hardware), I have been experiencing crashes while playing Mass Effect Andromeda. This is even with a clean install of Windows and drivers. I haven't been able to find a solution online and I am unsure if this is a hardware or software issue.

My set up:

• MSI B350 Tomahawk
  • AMD Ryzen 1700 (stock)
  • Sapphire Nitro+ 480 8GB (stock)
  • Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 Vengeance 2400MHz
  • FSP Raider II 650 80 Plus Silver
  • Silicon Power S60 240GB SSD

Everything above is new except for the SSD which is a few years old. Windows 10 is up to date. Motherboard drivers are up to date. GPU driver is on 17.4.3.

Short back story: Upon building the PC I had no issue playing Doom 3 and The Witcher 3 (I had to upgrade my PSU to a Corsair RM 550x 80 Plus Gold - more on this below - as my previous PSU was old and faulty). Turns out one of my SSDs was also faulty so I removed it and did a clean install of Windows and all drivers on my seconds SSD listed above. Since then the only game I have had installed has been Mass Effect Andromeda. Now Mass Effect would consistently crash every 5 minutes or so to a black screen which required a hard power reset (hold power button to turn off). Initially I thought it may have been the PSU not being able to deliver enough power for the game as my system was still on but completely unresponsive after the crash so I bought the FSP Raider II PSU to replace it. My brother has the same PSU and similar setup but is running a GTX 1080 so I assumed this would be more than enough. This didn't fix the issue and it turns out I may have had a dodgy install of Windows and possibly drivers so I did another clean install of everything (I have the official Windows 10 Pro installation USB). This fixed my issue, or so it appeared.

***Possible spoiler for Mass Effect Andromeda concerning planet Eos***

I have been able to play Mass Effect Andromeda fine until entering the Remnant ruins gravity well. Since entering this area my PC has crashed consistently within 10 minutes or so to a black screen. The sound keeps playing for a short while then goes quiet. Like before, I have to turn off my PC by holding down the power button to reset it. Apart from the occasional crash to desktop while playing multiplayer, I haven't had any other issue.

***End spoiler***

A crash dump is generated for these crashes within the C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG folder. Here are the contents of the latest dump using WhoCrashed:

On Sun 23/04/2017 12:24:46 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\WATCHDOG-20170423-1224.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (atikmpag+0xF654)
Bugcheck code: 0x141 (0xFFFFE68443FC1010, 0xFFFFF80BFD91F654, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0313248.inf_amd64_aad49543f8f714a1\atikmpag.sys
product: AMD driver
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. CUSTOM_ERROR

From MSDN the bugcheck code 0x141: The VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED bug check has a value of 0x00000141. This indicates that one of the display engines failed to respond in timely fashion.

Based off the above I followed the advice from here Graphics driver stopped responding and has recovered....TDR fix but this did not solve my problem.

I have attached the sensor log from HWiNFO64 from the latest crash. The GPU temps do seem high but from what I have read this is normal for my card.

Also note I have run plenty of tests to determine the quality of all my components by running:

• SeaTools
  • Prime95
  • Furmark
  • MemTest86

All the above has passed on my current setup. I have also run Prime95 and Furmark at the same time for up to half an hour with no issue.

I am at a lose with what to do and wondering if I should just return my card either for a new one or go back to Nvidia. If anyone has any solutions or advice it would be much appreciated.

Attachments

Outcomes