16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2017 2:18 PM by urejt

RX480 Black Screen Crash atikmpag.sys

cookie

I have recently built a new gaming PC and after a lengthy and frustrating process of getting to where I am now (the joys of brand new hardware), I have been experiencing crashes while playing Mass Effect Andromeda. This is even with a clean install of Windows and drivers. I haven't been able to find a solution online and I am unsure if this is a hardware or software issue.

My set up:

• MSI B350 Tomahawk
      • AMD Ryzen 1700 (stock)
      • Sapphire Nitro+ 480 8GB (stock)
      • Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 Vengeance 2400MHz
      • FSP Raider II 650 80 Plus Silver
      • Silicon Power S60 240GB SSD

Everything above is new except for the SSD which is a few years old. Windows 10 is up to date. Motherboard drivers are up to date. GPU driver is on 17.4.3.

Short back story: Upon building the PC I had no issue playing Doom 3 and The Witcher 3 (I had to upgrade my PSU to a Corsair RM 550x 80 Plus Gold - more on this below - as my previous PSU was old and faulty). Turns out one of my SSDs was also faulty so I removed it and did a clean install of Windows and all drivers on my seconds SSD listed above. Since then the only game I have had installed has been Mass Effect Andromeda. Now Mass Effect would consistently crash every 5 minutes or so to a black screen which required a hard power reset (hold power button to turn off). Initially I thought it may have been the PSU not being able to deliver enough power for the game as my system was still on but completely unresponsive after the crash so I bought the FSP Raider II PSU to replace it. My brother has the same PSU and similar setup but is running a GTX 1080 so I assumed this would be more than enough. This didn't fix the issue and it turns out I may have had a dodgy install of Windows and possibly drivers so I did another clean install of everything (I have the official Windows 10 Pro installation USB). This fixed my issue, or so it appeared.

***Possible spoiler for Mass Effect Andromeda concerning planet Eos***

I have been able to play Mass Effect Andromeda fine until entering the Remnant ruins gravity well. Since entering this area my PC has crashed consistently within 10 minutes or so to a black screen. The sound keeps playing for a short while then goes quiet. Like before, I have to turn off my PC by holding down the power button to reset it. Apart from the occasional crash to desktop while playing multiplayer, I haven't had any other issue.

***End spoiler***

A crash dump is generated for these crashes within the C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG folder. Here are the contents of the latest dump using WhoCrashed:

On Sun 23/04/2017 12:24:46 PM your computer crashed
      crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\WATCHDOG-20170423-1224.dmp
      This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (atikmpag+0xF654)
      Bugcheck code: 0x141 (0xFFFFE68443FC1010, 0xFFFFF80BFD91F654, 0x0, 0x0)
      Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
      file path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0313248.inf_amd64_aad49543f8f714a1\atikmpag.sys
      product: AMD driver
      company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
      description: AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver
      A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
      Google query: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. CUSTOM_ERROR

From MSDN the bugcheck code 0x141: The VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED bug check has a value of 0x00000141. This indicates that one of the display engines failed to respond in timely fashion.

Based off the above I followed the advice from here Graphics driver stopped responding and has recovered....TDR fix but this did not solve my problem.

I have attached the sensor log from HWiNFO64 from the latest crash. The GPU temps do seem high but from what I have read this is normal for my card.

Also note I have run plenty of tests to determine the quality of all my components by running:

• SeaTools
      • Prime95
      • Furmark
      • MemTest86

All the above has passed on my current setup. I have also run Prime95 and Furmark at the same time for up to half an hour with no issue.

I am at a lose with what to do and wondering if I should just return my card either for a new one or go back to Nvidia. If anyone has any solutions or advice it would be much appreciated.

• Re: RX480 Black Screen Crash atikmpag.sys
          amdmatt

Please try setting the Power Limit within Radeon Settings > Gaming > Global Settings to +50% and click apply. Does this stop the crashing?

ambrose

Hi Matt,

Please forgive me if I am going about this the wrong way I to have been getting this error as of late, makes for ma it makes no difference if I use WattMan and increase the Pwr slider. And the crashes always seem to happen when I am in Game ( Neverwinter Online ) and at random times and frequency.

Windows 7, 64 bit, fully updated, I use an Sapphire R7 260X ( No Over clocking aside from trying the Pwr slider, I do put the settings on performance, and I have the windows power plan set to performance as well. My system is a Stock Dell XPS, and I have never had this issue before, and I just recently finished playing Witcher 3 and I had no issues like this with that game. And for what ever reason this has been the first time I have had Driver issues with AMD and I usually update my Driver when they come out. If I notice anything I would just roll back to the previous driver but this doesn't seem to have any effect on the crashes.

I have found a work around in which you put a newly copied ATISYS file on desktop and expand routine, but I never had to do tat before and was wondering if there was a better fix, and not a work around. it's odd as all my Diagnostics come back A-OK.

Forgive me if I am branded as a post jacker but just had to post this as it was a first and similar issue I have and can't seem to fix.

Absolutely Baffled??????, Ambrose

kingfish
                  2 of 2 people found this helpful
                      ambrose

Hi KingFish,

I have been trying the fixes that you linked in your response and Nothing seems to be helping for me, I am now all the way back in drivers 16.11.4 so I am going to see how this works for me. I will keep you informed how it goes.

Ambrose

ambrose

Hi KingFish,

Tried the suggestions in the Link(s) you provided but nothing seemed to work for my issue, I did a complete wipe and install OS and now I am trying with the New Driver Package. I'll let you know how things went.

Ambrose

ambrose

Hello Again KingFish,

Just to give an update as to my ATI BSOD issue(s) I have done most of the things from the link and it seemed to lessen the frequency of the crashes it did not completely fix the issue(s). So what I did this time was to perform a Upgrade install of windows 7 this time to see if there were any update changes that might take effect. I just don't now why this ATI BSOD even started happening. I honestly feel it piggy-backed on some update, albeit an ATI one or a windows one but I'll see how everything goes this time around with the upgrade reinstall I have done.

I'll keep you updated as usual.

Cheers, Ambrose

kingfish

If you run into updating problems, here is a fix > Windows will not update after a fresh install

ambrose

Hello Again KingFish,

Well not long after my post I was playing NeverWinter Online and It was ok for the first 20 mins, then just before I was about to exit a dungeon instance It BSOD on me, the same ATI one I always have got, I restarted the game and played without issue until I am writing this follow up, so???( Approx 1 hr )  Again I am baffled it just seems so random. And All Diagnostics come back fine????

My WU by the way is fine, fully updated as well ( All ) even on this last re-install I switched my memory sticks around , So I just don't know, maybe it's hammer time. LOL You could eat off the inside of my computer so dust/dirt isn't an issue. MOTB battery was swapped out as well. I guess I could bite the bullet and do the Bios Update but I was always told not to do those if there wasn't something it actually was going to fix, and I seen nothing in the info I searched for that it had anything to do with graphics.

If you have any ideas I will be happy to read/try them.

Cheers, Ambrose

ambrose

Hi KingFish,

Not Sure why the pic I attached didn't show but here it is again.

Also the Stop code I receive is this........ atikmpag.sys

Stop: 0x00000116

0xFFFFFA800D3C84EO                                                                                                                                                                                                                      880050DE654

0x0000000000000000

0x0000000000000002

So I'm Baffled.

ATI BSOD.png

cookie

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the response. I've made the change that you have described and it appears to have resolved my issue. I have only played for about an hour or so but I haven't experienced a crash since increasing the power limit. I'll mark your response as the correct answer however I'll see how I go with the issue and fingers crossed, it doesn't happen again.

Edit: A word

benjyjm

Hi

I have also had this issue, see details below. I've just upgraded to 17.4.3 so hopefully thats the end of it.

On Wed 26/04/2017 22:21:10 your computer crashed
                              crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\042617-10796-01.dmp
                              This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (atikmpag+0xF634)
                              Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFF9E0D2EE14010, 0xFFFFF8044FCDF634, 0x0, 0xD)
                              Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
                              file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\atikmpag.sys
                              Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
                              A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
                              Google query: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

On Wed 26/04/2017 22:21:10 your computer crashed
                              crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
                              This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (0xFFFFF8044FCDF634)
                              Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFF9E0D2EE14010, 0xFFFFF8044FCDF634, 0x0, 0xD)
                              Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.

On Wed 26/04/2017 21:38:40 your computer crashed
                              crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\042617-12109-01.dmp
                              This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (atikmpag+0xF634)
                              Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFF8002BDBC6010, 0xFFFFF8066109F634, 0x0, 0xD)

On Wed 26/04/2017 21:03:33 your computer crashed
                              crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\042617-13765-01.dmp
                              Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFF9E8161673110, 0xFFFFF80A0BFBF634, 0x0, 0xD)

urejt

Hello traveler.

Please try different display cable. Try cable that did not come with the monitor.

Second idea: try different pcie slot for yout gpu.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                  urejt

Try DDU and let windows install the default drivers 17.1. Andromeda might crash because it needs higher drivers but check other aplicaitons.

Another idea: turn off auto driver installation, unplug internet, install fresh amd drivers straight from c/amd and restart asap so windows doesnt overwrite drivers.

Last try is bios