9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2017 1:38 PM by tymkoijn1

amd a6-6310 capping at 900mhz

challanger

ive been haveing an issue with an older pc i stll oftern use where the cpu is capping around 500-900 mhz and it normaly runs at 2400mhz its been causing really bad lag on games i think its becuse the fans arnt reporting back however they are running. i know that the cpu caps if it gets t ohot but its been running at 40 Celsius is there some way i can over ride whats causing the cap or manualy control what the cpu runs at so i can keep it running above 1.6ghz as it use to run at 2.4ghz fine and get to the 75 Celsius before getting upset.changed fans and cleaned insides out

• Re: amd a6-6310 capping at 900mhz
          jamesc359

Have you checked your power plan settings?

Control Panel > Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Change advanced power settings. Under Processor power management, make sure Maximum processor frequency is set to 0 and that the Maximum processor state is 100%.

challanger

power plan settings are min performance 80% max 100% (turbo allowing for running at up to 140%)

it has a ballanced preset that allows 5% min and 100% max but that didn't change anything

ill try allowing 0 as min see what that does

tymkoijn1

try switching to high performance on the power plan. you won't be able to carry it around a lot but I am assuming you keep it plugged in while gaming, also I am not sure if you have it, but if you go to Catalyst control center there is also an option in there for CPU power usage. 

challanger

that was on high performance and surprisingly it can last 5-8 hrs on max load on battery but i generally have it plugged in anyway i had catalyst control but win10 broke it and then i reformatted it to get rid of old junk and stuff so ill see if that program works with windows 10 now

don't suppose the fan deciding to turn on when the c gets to 55-60 Celsius could be link-able to the issue as it starts capping it around 50 Celsius or that the fan isnt returning stats(it use to(tried a new fan no change)) but i can see it spinning

tymkoijn1

sounds a little like its thermal throttling. how old is the laptop

challanger

its age is around 3 years however 50 celcius is cold compaired to what it use to run at and also is there a way to reinstall catalist control as it broke when i 'upgraded' to windows 10 and then i had to reformat and ive not been able to find an install place for it use to use it alot think thats the only reason it ever way gameing capable

was able to find a gpu updater for the cpu from amd this appers to have helped with preformance also noticed that the normal temp readings droped by around 5 celcius(room temp increced by 2 Celsius)

other side note as the voltage incrced from 11.3V to 12.3V(apx changes a bit)(battry/mains) i watched 10 of the 15fps drop off wheres before this would increce my fps(haveing it pluged in)

tymkoijn1

also you could try to turn off cool and quiet in your bios, sometimes that can cause a system to stick on its speed. i have had to turn it off  to keep my cpu from under clocking. if you have an extra motherboard you could try testing to see if it does the same thing but if not just double check everything. if you could add a picture of the cpu z that might help a little. it could be multiple things so the more info you can give the better.

challanger

heres a link to some pics from my tablet-pc-bios - Google Drive  key-blue=editable   non blue=information

its litraly that empty and locked and i only recently unlocked some of that to do with access passwords

cant take that pc apart again as it nearly died the first time and the 2nd i changed fans and that didnt help but now a load of the connection points(for holding pc together/whats left) are about to break off