3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2017 10:13 AM by noelc

Do Radeon Pro WX 5100 Drivers Provide Per Channel Calibration Capability?

noelc

I'm looking to buy an updated workstation card and I need the equivalent of separate per-monitor, per-color channel manual calibration capability, an example of which is shown in the attached image.  It doesn't have to be exactly that; it could be table driven, but I have to be able to control it directly.

Does the Radeon Pro display driver for Windows 10 provide per-monitor, per-color channel calibration capability?  Ideally, if you actually HAVE one of these cards can you please post or point me to a screen grab showing the actual calibration functionality being presented by the driver?

Note that I do NOT want to know if a monitor can be calibrated and profiled using a colorimeter device. I have a very specific need for manual calibration capability through the driver itself.

Thank you!

-Noel

• Re: Do Radeon Pro WX 5100 Drivers Provide Per Channel Calibration Capability?
          noelc

So not one user here has a "Pro" model and not one ATI/AMD person cares enough to even just say a few words or take a screen grab?

Does the silence signify that this professional feature has been removed also from the "Radeon Pro" models?

I realize this forum is gamer-heavy...  Is there a "Pro" forum I should be at?  Maybe somewhere on nvidia.com?

I've got to say, I've been an avid ATI user since nVidia screwed me with workstation class card drivers in 2007 that never worked right with multiple monitors, at which point I just stopped buying nVidia hardware.  Now I consider myself to have been screwed again by ATI not supporting all the features they originally had in the Catalyst drivers, and you don't care enough to even answer a simple question to try to retain a dissatisfied customer.  So that'll be 10 more years of me not buying expensive ATI hardware for my engineering business, then?  It's okay with me.

-Noel

kingfish

"So not one user here has a "Pro" model and not one ATI/AMD person cares enough to even just say a few words or take a screen grab?" I guess no one with these Professional cards has a issue or has any info to ad. As you know, this is a user-to-user forum...if you want to ask AMD you have two ways to do it.

1.  AMD Issue Reporting Form

2. Email Form

noelc

The party's over.  I have ordered a nVidia Quadro P2000 workstation card.

A bit of my history:

Back in 2007 I had a VERY expensive nVidia workstation card that just couldn't weather an upgrade from XP x64 to Vista x64.  NVidia SAID they had multiple monitor-capable drivers, and in fact it was possible to configure said drivers to almost work - but they never did actually work right.  I had system crashes, corrupted displays, no fun at all.  NVidia wasn't interested in supporting me either.

That was my first inclination to switch to ATI with my purchasing an ATI 4850 "gamer" card, bought in desperation at the local Best Buy for not too much money, just to see if it would work using a standard "swap out suspect hardware" troubleshooting technique.

It DID work - very well.  So well I kept using it.

It had turned a flaky workstation into a solid performer.  Following that purchase I bought only ATI cards for my systems afterward - a number of them culminating in the Radeon HD 7850 I'm now replacing, which as served me well until abandoned by ATI.  When inexplicably ATI chose to deprecate the manual calibration functionality I relied upon during their transition to Crimson they left me with no workaround, except to stop accepting driver updates after the last Catalyst that worked - 15.11.  That was reasonable for a while, but the rest of the software world continued to march on, and I know I cannot rely on a circa 2015 driver to power a potential Windows 10 upgrade, so here I am.

OK, I thought, no problem, my circa 2013 card was starting to get a bit older anyway...  I was willing to consider a new ATI "pro" card, except that no one apparently cares enough to say how the drivers work.  I will take that silence as an indication that the functionality is simply not there, and a further indication ATI is not truly interested in the professional market.

So...  In me ATI / AMD has lost a repeat/future customer.  I run an engineering company, so my decisions aren't just going to affect my own purchases.  Imagine that.

A pro photographer friend has recently swapped HIS Radeon HD 7850 out for a nVidia 980 Ti.

The folks on the Adobe pre-release forum and a few places elsewhere say that the nVidia Quadro cards are the only ones that reliably provide high accuracy 30 bit color for use with Adobe products, e.g., Photoshop.

The Quadro P2000 scores better at GPU and desktop speed benchmarks than the Radeon Pro WX 5100, yet draws the same amount of power (75W).  The drivers do provide the calibration capabilities I need.

That nVidia can bring out hardware that draws the same amount of power yet is both faster and more accurate says something.

Thanks for the ride, ATI, it's been fun.  Hope you can get back to producing cutting-edge products by the time nVidia hiccups again.

-Noel