11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2018 9:01 AM by greatestprateek

Rx 480 4GB - Problem whit Crimson 17.4.3 - 17.4.2 optional - 17.4.1 optional

linodgv

Good morning, I am a holder of the Gigabyte Rx480 4GB video card.
      I have an annoying problem that has occurred with the latest April Crimson drivers. In practice, installing these drivers (for example, last 17.4.3) I no longer work with direct3d. Virtually, the card becomes unusable. The strange thing is that with old Crimson drivers, everything works perfectly. In fact, I had to reinstall the 17.3.3 drivers that did not give me any trouble. Why? Can anyone help me or did she have a similar problem?

I leave you my specifications of my pc:
      Cpu: Intel Core i7

Video Card: Gigabyte Rx480 4GB

Ram:16Gb Ram

Operating System:Windows 7 64bit

I'm sorry if I made mistakes in English. I used Google Translate

• Re: Rx 480 4GB - Problem whit Crimson 17.4.3 - 17.4.2 optional - 17.4.1 optional
          amdmatt

Thanks for the post. I recommend following the troubleshooting suggestions offered in the document below to see if that resolves your issue.

Troubleshooting Common AMD Graphics Driver Installation Problems

• Re: Rx 480 4GB - Problem whit Crimson 17.4.3 - 17.4.2 optional - 17.4.1 optional
            greatestprateek

I have the same problem but with R9270x. However, my issue does not go away with 17.3.3 either. I have tried repairing registry as mentioned on these forums and also cleanly uninstalling. It all started with 17.4.3 but now there is no stability and nullification of games with

any version of Radeon.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              tynyt

I stumbled upon this thread in search of resolution of the same issue I am facing right now.

Since Crimson 17.4, drivers do not work, even 2D support in Windows is limited (i.e. no screensaver working). Tried to remove all drivers, even with DDU (which I haven't to do ever before), tried to disable auto-install the Windows Update AMD driver package - no success.

Crimson tool reports drivers as OK, so does the Hardware manager in Windows, however games and any DirectX content does not work.

Last working driver set is Crimson 17.3, as soon as it gets installed, everything starts to work.

Software packages are as follows (translated from Czech):

Radeon version - 2017.0517.1550.26687

Package version - 17.10.2711.1021-170517a-314337E-CrimsonReLive

Poskytovatel - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

2D Package version - 8.1.1.1599

Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.01261

OpenGL® Version - 6.14.10.13474

OpenCL™ Version - 22.19.165.512

AMD Mantle - 9.1.10.0189

API AMD Mantle - 102400

Sound driver AMD - 10.0.1.1

Vulkan™ Driver Version - 1.5.0

Vulkan™ API Version - 1.0.39

Crimson17-5.PNG

System is Windows 10 Pro x64

edit:

After another attempt that included following steps:

- deinstall AMD software package from add/remove programs

- manually removed ALL AMD drivers from the HW manager console (with physical driver removal option) until Default generic Microsoft VGA driver appeared

- rebooted into Safe mode and used latest DDU  (I believe this shouldn't be neccessary, however I did it)

I installed Crimson 17.5 and it's working so far - but I am suspicious about the Windows 10 "self-consciousness" and ability to change things and configs on its own. :-) Drivers are the same, but now working (see the screensaver preview).... let's see the result after few reboots of the machine (I'll post it here)

Crimson17-5-reinstalled.PNG

tynyt

I am giving up running the Crimson 17.5.x - it works only 1-2 times from 20 boots of the OS. Reverted to Crimson 17.3.3 - works flawlessly.

This is the first time Crimson drivers are buggy for me.

tynyt

Ok, I haven't given up

Right now I have upgraded Windows to so-called Creators update which has been released in March 2017 (build 1703). This fact led me to create a theory that newer Crimson releases were tested against this build. Over 5 reboots I have working Crimson 17.5.2. So far so good...

Update: day after... well, No D3D acceleration once again. I give up, rolling back to 17.3.3

linodgv

Guys, problem solved !!! Virtually you need to connect the video card to the monitor with an HDMI cable. Initially I had a DVI-D cable and no problem to the Crimson 17.3.3 drivers. April drivers started the issues listed above. Yesterday the illumination: I'm thinking of changing the cable !!! Everything is fixed, try it too Evidently from April Crimson on there is a bad management of the DVI-D cables. Let me know if you have solved

tynyt

I have installed Crimson 17.6.1 yesterday and after few reboots it's still working. Lets hope the misery is finally gone.

greatestprateek

UPDATE - I had the same problem as the OP, until a couple of weeks back. To me its absolutely clear that it was a problem of drivers. AMD drivers were not good enough roughly from 17.4.3(recommended) till before 17.12.1 (the Adrenaline edition). With these latest drivers every minor problem & major hassle that I had, has been completely resolved. Gaming crashes, DirectX errors, sleep-wake freezes, installation failures and weird graphics/monitor behaviour were happening all to frequently even with each of the previous stable versions, despite following the rule book for installation and usage. There really was nothing we could have done differently, because the problem lied in AMD drivers. Now with new Adrenaline drivers, with the same system (FX8320 & R9270x) and same best practices (as always), there is a near flawless experience and a performance improvement to boot. I am not doing anything different, the drivers just work. These are what drivers should be like, and we have had to wait for an awful long time for them.