1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 21, 2017 10:09 AM by kingfish

GPU stopped working after a cold boot. After some tinkering, could manage to have it work, but with strange driver issues

vorlon

Hi there!

I'm trying to help a friend troubleshoot a GPU problem, but I'm running out of ideas.

Could anyone provide an insight on how to proceed in identifying the problem?

(The computer had been running without any changes for the past few months)

GPU: ATI Radeon R7 200 Series

At first, yesterday the computer would boot, but nothing would be displayed on the monitor.

So, we tried to connect the monitor in the mobo GPU port, and it worked as expected.

Next, we tried to open up the PC, and check the fan, and if the PCI-e and PSU were firmly connected, just in case.

After reconnecting the monitor on the GPU, we rebooted the PC, and the display output came back for the GPU.

When Windows started, however, a popup warning was displayed saying

"No AMD graphics driver is installed or the AMD driver is not functioning properly. please install the AMD driver appropriate for your AMD hardware"

We found it strange, so we tried downloading the most recent drivers (Crimson ReLive Edition 17.4.3).

After installing and rebooting, we still couldn't change the display resolution, which I found odd enough.

We tried launching Overwatch, but it came with a message saying that the card was not compatible with the game (it has been working fine for the last six months however, and the card is listed as supported).

Something similar happens when launching World of Warcraft, saying that the video card is not supported (the card however is correctly listed as AMD Radeon R7 200 Series on this warning).

On device manager, the card is listed correctly too.

At first I thought that the problem was caused by some driver conflict, since we didn't try to remove any older driver before, when the first error message was presented.

So we tried uninstalling the drivers with AMD Clean Uninstall Utility.

After that, we reinstalled the drivers, and the problem persisted.

So here we are, at a loss.

What I can think of trying tomorrow is:

1. Removing the drivers again, using Wagnard Display Driver Uninstaller this time

2. Installing some older version of the display driver, since my friend didn't update the drivers regularly

Even with those steps, I'm not really confident.

Has anyone ever dealt with somenthing like this? I'd really like to be able to better pinpoint the problem.

Could this be hardware related? I have never heard of symptoms like those before, but the first problem with the GPU not displaying anything was strange.

Thanks for any help in advance!