6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2017 6:49 PM by jaymc

Directx 12 Chip..???

jaymc

Hey guy's... I came across something last night in the design specs of the new xbox scorpio...

It has a Directx12 Chip between the CPU an the GPU.. Is this Dx12 in a chip.. It is supposed to take halve the rendering load off the CPU. Have you guy's heard of this before.. What's the story with this. Is Dx12 running in hardware as opposed to software ?

Anyway what is this Dx12 chip on the scorpio an can it be implemented on the PC ? The mind boggles...

I have tried googling this to no avail.. so far anyway.

PS

Hello AMD an AMD fans alike this is my first post on this forum I think.. Well with this a/c anyway I may have had one many moons ago in a time far far away...

• Re: Directx 12 Chip..???
            jaymc

I think you misunderstood my question...I know Dx12 is part of Win10.. That's not what I was asking. Maybe if you read the question again.

kingfish

""It has a Directx12 Chip between the CPU an the GPU.. Is this Dx12 in a chip.. It is supposed to take halve the rendering load off the CPU. Have you guy's heard of this before.. What's the story with this. Is Dx12 running in hardware as opposed to software ?

I understand your question and the link I gave you answers it.

If you have Win10

If you have a compatible graphics card

If the game or application is written for DX12

jaymc

I'm not sure about that.. That's why I'm asking. Dx12 runs in software on a PC... But the Xbox Scorpio has a Dx12 Chip sitting between the CPU and the GPU. 

Someone has said to me on another forum that this might be a draw call processor is this correct ?

What is it's exact function and can it be implemented on a PC ?

jaymc

I'm after hearing from someone that reckons this is a "dedicated draw call" processor.. This certainly sounds like something we could use on our Graphics cards.

jaymc

Microsoft is calling it a "GPU Command Processor".. They say it can reduce CPU an GPU usage by severel cycles everytime it's used...

It is often used Dx12 draw calls in hardware.. Parts of the API are now in hardware in the form of a Dx12 chip... savage !

"What’s more interesting about the Scorpio console is that, according to Microsoft, it’s designed to incorporate basic, oft-used DirectX12 draw calls into the GPU command processor itself, potentially freeing up some processing power for devs.

“It's the first time I'm aware of us ever doing something like this,” Gammill said. “We actually pulled some of the DX12 runtime components directly into the hardware. So basically, these high-frequency DX12 draw calls you'd normally call [to output a frame, for example] which would take up a lot of GPU and CPU cycles, now that that's baked into the system itself, it makes the system significantly more efficient.”

"Gammill estimates this can lead to situations where hundreds of specific API calls can be cut down to 10-15, potentially giving developers a bit of extra efficiency to play with."

Full article can be read here:

Gamasutra - Inside the next Xbox: Project Scorpio and its brand-new dev kit