3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2017 11:28 PM by spinalfailed

Ryzen 7 1700 - AM4 x370 - what is the maximum DDR4 RAM Frequency supported with OC ?

fugol

Hallo everybody!

I'm so glad to join the Ryzen community! So happy to come back to my beloved AMD cpus!

I'm gonna buy a Ryzen 7 1700, and mount it on an Asus Prime x370-PRO

Not sure if I should ask here or to the Asus community, what I need to understand is about the RAM frequencies. I know Ryzen has a limit a something like 2600 Mhz, but I've read one can push it up with bios overclocking. Is it true? and what is the limit? In other words, what single card DDR4 16gb do you suggest me? (of course I will pair it to a twin in the close future, but I have some budget issue so it is one 16gb for now...)

• Re: Ryzen 7 1700 - AM4 x370 - what is the maximum DDR4 RAM Frequency supported with OC ?
          spinalfailed

The RAM issue is mostly effecting motherboards that have all 4 RAM slots filled.  There have been BIOS updates released that most running 1 or 2 sticks of RAM are able to get 3200MHZ without issue.  With some fiddling a number of people have gotten all 4 slots to run at or near this speed.  If that is what is holding you back, I wouldn't worry about it.  AMD is on the ball in regard to trying to resolve the little hiccups.  They have taken a very hands on approach to getting things up to speed so to speak.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Re: Ryzen 7 1700 - AM4 x370 - what is the maximum DDR4 RAM Frequency supported with OC ?
            arcticwind

Asus may be able to provide you with the answer to this question.

You should check the manufactures websites for the "compatible RAM" and read the motherboard manual.

The Ryzen AM4 motherboards have very specific requirements for the amount, frequency and placement of the RAM.

Not all memory will work with all motherboards also, each motherboard has specific slots that the memory needs to be in (Yes, placement matters).

Also, the motherboard manufacturers have been updating the system BIOS frequently as more memory is added to the list of compatible RAM.

Do the research first before buying anything!

fugol

I've read the x370-PRO's manual

It happened to me to think that it was obsolete, since there are so few and so low level Ram sets on it!!!

but this is not only about the Asus motherboard, it's more about Ryzen CPU's that I'm asking about: what is theire rapport with RAM and RAM frequencies: Is it true that Ryzen 7 only supports 2666 and lower? Is it true that one can push this up to 3200 and more with simple oc? and what oc? The ram's or the cpu's?

EDIT_ I'd missed the answer by spinalfailed

btw thanks to both of you guys!