2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2017 2:44 AM by arne

[Strix r9380 and/or Crimson] 0 or 100% fan speed. Is the card broken?

arne

I've read quite a few topics here and on other boards and none of the solutions work for me. I have an ASUS R9 380 card with 2 fans on top. Running windows 7 64 bit.

I'm getting rather sick and tired of random hangs when the GPU overheats because there is no fan speed at all or it get's stuck at 100% speed making a lot of noise.

Going into safe mode, using the DDU to clear all previous drivers and installing new ones (turning PC off instead of restart and all that) does not fix anything.

The fan speed was stuck at 100%. As soon as I installed the new drivers (Crimson 17.x - tried a few ones) when I reboot the fan goes back to full blast.

Somehow tinkering with the ASUS GPU tweakII I got it back to doing something normal like fans off below 50 degrees C. and 40% and incrementally up above that. It was fine for about 1 day and then went back to 100%. At that point I also noticed only 1 of the fans was spinning and not the other one. On the GPU monitor I do see some seemingly random spkies of 3000, 6000 or 9000 rpm but most of the time it reads 0 RPM, while 1 or both are still running.

Could this stil be fixed or the card broken? It's well over a year old (still under 2 though) so I guess it's no longer under warranty