2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2017 6:55 AM by amdmatt

Idle 2D clockspeeds sticking at max on multimonitor setup. possible fix.

cplifj

This has been an ongoing issue, but i have tried alot and found something that is reproducable and fixes

the idle clockspeed on the memory being stuck at max of 1250MHz instead of a cool 150MHz.

THE thing that does the trick is following: when i check the windows properties of my monitors it states for all three monitors

they are running at 59 Hz , instead of the usual 60 Hz. When they are at 59 Hz the clock is GUARANTEED STUCK at 1250MHz.

Now i change those refresh frequency settings in windows to 60 Hz , one by one. Nothing happens TILL i set the third and last to 60 Hz

AND SHAZAM. The idle clockspeed immediatly drops down to 150 MHz again....

Back to you AMD engineers.

This fix works every time for me. Tested it with several clean installs in succesion.

works with windows stock 16.6 whql driver, as does with 17.4.1 non whql.

• Re: Idle 2D clockspeeds sticking at max on multimonitor setup. possible fix.
          goodplay

So Win10 does a diag first, then decides settings.

If an AMD prob.,then fine(sort it ?), but W10 does have known issues with high DPI(ongoing fix ?).

I heard/knew about the  59-60 prob. long ago, easy fix(as you say, change it).

As with any new OS, learn how it works(do you want a link to 1300+ Tutorials ?)

• Re: Idle 2D clockspeeds sticking at max on multimonitor setup. possible fix.
            amdmatt

It's still not a bug though.

Multiple displays with different resolutions, refresh rates, timings and or using different display adapters/connections requires more resources from the GPU, this can move the GPU up into the next memory clock state to compensate and avoid issues such as flickering or corruption.

If all displays are identical, using the same resolution, refresh rates, timings and using identical display adapters/connections then the GPU may be able to run two or more without moving up into the next clock state. It can vary from Bios to Bios and GPU to GPU, but the expected behaviour is increased clock speeds so this is not something we can change, nor is it something we will dedicate valuable engineering resources to.