6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2017 6:45 AM by nantucketbob

Recommendation for photography--image processing

nantucketbob

My DLSR makes almost 40 Mb Raw image files and large MP4 files.  I routinely upload a few dozen images and videos from an SD card.  I edit the images in PhotoShop and Lightroom CC, and do some simple editing of the videos (cut and paste, mostly cutting to make the file smaller.) I backup twice every day.   I want to build a new computer.  I want the fastest "Maximum PC" for this job, but no more.  Suggestions for the CPU and motherboard?  My computer is 6 years old and a lot has changed, and I am beginning to catch up.  I would consider overclocking if it were recommended, but I have never done it.  I need a fast USB card reader, also. 

For those interested, I will get a fast SSD for a C: drive for programs only. I use two hard drives for data, one for music and docs, and the second 2T drive for images (my current 1T drive is getting full.).  I would like two backup drives in the case, one for each of the data drives, for a total of 5 drives.  (I have external USB backup drives, also.)  My two current computers use Cooler Master Centurian cases, and I could use one of them for the new build, but I am open to suggestions. 

This is my first post so I hope it is appropriate.  I have built four computers, all with AMD CPUs.  

• Re: Recommendation for photography--image processing
          jigzaw

The Ryzen platform has a lot better I/O performance compared to the previous generation. Get the best NVMe SSD for your C: drive, the fastest stock clock cpu and memory timing that will work on a 370 chipset. By the way the 370 chipset has more connectivity than a 350 chipset.

zedd137

If you are willing to overclock your CPU use an R7 1700, otherwise 1700X or 1800X. No need to by an expensive 370 board, B350 will be absolutely fine and has 6 SATA (or 4 SATA + 1 NVMe) which should be enough. I think you will not notice any difference between SATA and NVMe, so you could use up to 6 SATA drives. Choice of graphics card depends if you want to use a 10 bit display. In that case you need a workstation card - a WX4100 will be enough - otherwise a RX460 or RX560 will be enough, anything above is only useful for gaming. Using faster than standard memory will give you another few percent speed, but will be somewhat expensive.

That all said in the AMD department. An i7-7700k will very likely be faster in Lightroom and Photoshop because both do not make much use of multi core systems.

nantucketbob

Thank you.  This is very helpful.

Do you know if viewing and editing MP4 videos uses multi-core processing?  My edits are simple, mostly cut and paste.  I don’t need a powerful video editor to do what I want.  (But if you have a recommendation I am listening.  Both the Adobe Premier and even Movie maker are challenging for even simple cut and paste work, far from intuitive.)

The forum does not seem to have a way to reply to people who reply to my question.  Hmmm.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Bob Hall

Nantucket MA 02554

ackrrh@hotmail.com<mailto:ackrrh@hotmail.com>

nantucketbob

Unlike other forums, I had to log in to reply to your comment.  Thank you.  You may receive a reply to the email that was sent to me.  It appeared as a reply above!

Question. I have a 256 Gb SSD on my current computer, and it does seem to boot fast.  The new Sansung Pro model, 512G, is expensive.  Are you saying it is not really worthwhile?  Currently, my programs/applications boot/load quickly.  My other machine has Win7 and is older and cannot upgrade to Win10. It has no SSD.  It takes 2-3 minutes to boot vs. the 1 minute on my Win10 machine with the SSD.

zedd137

Video editing changes the game a bit, but I'm not an expert in that field. As far as I know some video software makes heavy use of the graphics card, so a better card might help here much more than in Photoshop and Lightroom. But I have no experience with that, Sorry. Regarding SSD I suggest one of the mid range models like Samsung EVO 850. The Pro models are in my opinion not worth the much higher costs.

To give you an idea, what you can expect from a Ryzen CPU in Lightroom: The same export that took 16 Minutes with my Core i5-2500 now needs around 7 minutes with a R7 1700X, both running at their default speed.

nantucketbob

Thanks, again zedd.  Much appreciated. I was impressed with your last sentence about Lightroom exports.  Someone said that Lightroom and Photoshop do not make use of multi-cores (2 is enough), but your experience is different.  Because the technology is so complex, I suspect the only real life solution is a side-by-side comparison of various LR & PS tasks with a variety of processors.  How would fast Pentium processors compare, for example (one runs at 3.7 GHz.) It would be nice for the photo magazine people to get this done.  And it may have been done already. 

But thanks for making me think about this.  I am in no rush to build a system. I want it well-designed.