2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2017 10:56 PM by mjpbmp

My new rig name choice

mjpbmp

Previous Names

I started out with "Ryzen Dreadnought" as the name and then changed that fairly recently to "Green Fury."  I picked this name against the other leading contending name of "Green Envy."  Green Envy I still like so much because if I can get a video card that is the envy of the Green team--what a fit!  So, maybe a future build.  I am abandoning Green Fury as my name because it sounds so much like a name I would come up with if I were outfitting the video cards from NVidia.  Green Envy, though, can still fit for a future build and I may still use that name.

My search was back on and I came up with:  System MP:  Mondo Pagoda

The reason for the name

I wanted to find some terms that fit well with the code name of the architecture so this was the basis of my search.  Most of the other names I came up with fit so well with the theme colors of Intel and NVidia.  I have owned and used products from both, as well as AMD, so I am not a sycophant loyalist to any one.  I want the most powerful computer that I can afford.

Names I thought about drove me back to the name choices of the graphics card architecture names based upon stars.  When I built the case for "Green Fury" I really liked the schema's of colors that the system offered.  Blue/green and Red/Blue/Green.  I toyed with names but, again, names kept fitting an Intel/NVidia system instead of a Ryzen and Vega build.

So, I started looking at blue giant star names.  Nothing stuck that I liked.  What about just calling it Blue Giant?  Still leads to a connotation of an Intel based system.  Red Giant star name schema's would be awesome so I leave that to you all to explore and use as names.  I may "ReLive" (pun intended) that name schema later.

Therefore, I chose the word mondo to represent my Ryzen processor because the word means a question in which a fast response is desired, and the speed of the answer is often illuminating.  What a perfect fit for the new very fast Ryzen processor and Zen architecture--and the word zen itself.  Then I needed a word to describe the case the processor will be housed.  I searched on different terms for sanctuary and saw pagoda which means a temple or sacred building.  So, there you have the history of my search for the name of my Ryzen build.

It is not the greatest name out there, but it is meaningful to me.  Plus, the last thing I thought of was that these words have as their first letters the same as my first and last name.  That just happened by chance, but I like it.  I can also call it in short by any of the terms:; MP, Mondo, Pagoda, etc.  Any combination I favor at the time.  For System MP, this is MP.  Peace out!  (My twitch user name is Lordbandeye).

What do you think?

• Re: My new rig name choice
          whiskey-foxtrot

I can definitely appreciate the thought put behind the name for your new system and I think it's unique: neutral, yet very powerful! So I'd stick with MP/Mondo Pagoda - or perhaps it could also be "Pagoda Mondo"? Either way, I'd love to see System MP when it's ready for an unveiling.

Not to hijack your post, I named my upcoming system "Oscar Mike" because in Military lingo it means "On the Move" - also signifying getting ready for action. This year, AMD is definitely ready for action and on the move! Not quite as elaborate as yours, but "OM" was one of those terms that almost always gave me a burst of an Adrenaline rush in the not so distant past overseas and to me, that means a lot.

PS, just sent you a follow on Twitch.

• Re: My new rig name choice
              mjpbmp

Thanks for your thoughts whiskey-foxtrot.  I like your suggestion.  I had the system put together and was testing different coolers and the motherboard finally just died.  From the get go I had issues booting and any minor change to the BIOS settings to include just setting it to Optimized defaults caused the board to not post.  So many other things going on that even BIOS upgrades did not help so I sent it back to get replaced.  Hopefully the I can get a complete system up and running by end of this month.

I retired from the military a few years back so I can relate personally to your OM term.

I thought of another name change that I may go with too.  Since Polaris and Vega are based upon stars and I have a Ryzen processor sitting here waiting for the motherboard to return; and, I am waiting for Vega to be released because I want Vega cards in this build, but will work with my two RX 470's in crossfire until that happens, I thought to switch this again to "Ryzen Star:  mondo pagoda."  To me, since I created the term mondo pagoda, I translate it to mean:  "The sacred house of fast illuminating answers."

The system will start with Polaris based GPU's and will eventually be upgraded to the rising performance of Vega when it is released.  Both stars in their own right, and one rising in performance over the other.  The more time I have to sit and wait the more time I can brainstorm a good final name to the system.