1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 17, 2017 4:23 PM by kingfish

Win10 Creators Update, Triple 4K Monitors, Dual RX-480 Cards = Unusable System

whomper

Win10 Creators Update, Triple 4K Monitors, Dual RX-480 Cards = Unusable System

I have a very messy problem that hopefully will have a simple answer. I have already spent at least two hours on the phone with Mark at XFX technical support and exhausted the help they can provide. Mark directed me here for in-depth technical help.

My problem is updating to Windows 10 Pro, with both the Anniversary update and now the Creators update. I've had to abandon it both times because video driver problems make the system unusable.

My system is stable on Win7 x64 Ultimate and runs more or less without problems. It is used for business (video, audio editing, statistical analysis, etc.) no gaming. The only problem is with the DWM10 (Desktop Windows Manger v10) used in Win7, it regularly hiccups as it was never designed to handle my display setup.

System:
      Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe II
      CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K @3.30GHz
      Memory: 16 GB (4x4GB)

Video Cards: 2x XFX Radon RX-480P836BM w/8GB memory each

Displays: 3x LG 27UD68 4K monitors

All monitors are connected to video card #1 via DisplayPort cables. Video cards are crossfire linked.

On Win7 all monitors run at 59.9966 Hz, with a Link Setting of 5.4 Gbps x 4, at the native 3840x2160 display resolution on each. For Crossfire, Graphics card #1 is Primary, and card #2 is Linked. Driver is v16.12.2.

Upgrading to Win10 Creators update took three attempts, restoring the previous system image between each attempt. The system booted successfully at each attempt, but what I learned is that the video driver Win10 was downloading automatically caused the system to go into a perpetual boot-loop after POST. Prior to restarting after the video driver update, the system seemed more or less okay, but I didn't look very hard either.

For the third attempt I disconnected the computer from the network, downloaded the "non-whql-win7-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-17.4.2-apr11.exe" driver, copied it to the computer via flash drive, and updated the driver manually. System started up after the update fine, no more boot-looping.
      All three monitors were working separately as individual monitors. And this was about the only good thing.

Problems (in no particular order):

1. Sometimes card #1 was primary, after rebooting sometimes card #2 would become primary with card #1 Linked. As far as I could tell it was random which would be which.

2. Sometimes all three monitors would run at 59.9966 Hz, other times two would and one would run at 30 Hz and 2.7 Gbps Link setting. Which monitor would be running at 30 Hz would sometimes change at the next bootup, it was not consistent. With the Anniversary update, sometimes all three would run at 59.9966 Hz, other times only one would.

3. After logging in to Win10, I would sometimes get the "Link Failure" message, which I'm told is indicative of a bandwidth problem. But the system runs fine and is stable under Win7, so if there is a bandwidth problem it is with the driver and not my hardware. And I have already done the cable swapping, monitor swapping, even graphics card swapping, and it makes no difference.

4. Corrupted display. The small icon view with the Classic Control Panel would sometimes be only an empty window. Other times it would be several columns of icons but with no text. The new Control (Settings) panel in Win10 seems okay, but that is mostly text.

5. Another example of the corrupted display was in the Radeon Settings panel itself. In the sub-heading section random letters seemed to be missing, or it could just have been garbage characters displaying.

6. I did try running the v16.12.2 driver on Win10 Creators, but I get a message about a bad "atiadlxx.dll" file not being compatible with this version of Windows, error 0xc000012f.

In summary, I am at a loss. XFX tech support is at a loss. I am hoping that someone here can reach the people with the tech know-how to solve these problems.

I had to abandon the Anniversary update because of these problems, and I hoped that they would be fixed with/by the Creators update. But it seems not.

Thank you.